Celebrity Century Cruise Review by ka1958

Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Hawaii
On February 16th we arrived in San Diego and checked into our hotel. The Holiday Inn Bayside. It was a great deal for the money. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and cruise terminal. The restaurant isn't bad either. There also was plenty of restaurants all in walking distance from the hotel.

On February 17th we started our embarkment process. We checked in very quickly. We waited to board the ship for about a half hour. We boarded the ship. We took pictures and was greeted with a glass of champagne. The first thing I did was go the MDR to change our late dining to early dining seating. The matre'd could not change it because the first seating was over booked. Then we went to the buffet for lunch. Shortly after we were able to go into our staterooms. Our stateroom was nice. There was plenty of storage space and closets. Our stateroom attendant met us. His name was Gabrielle. The assistant was just as good. We asked for an ashtray to find out, there smoking policy changed. You are no longer able to smoke on your Veranda. There is a designated area on deck 11 and deck 6. There were number of people that got caught smoking on there Veranda. They were warned at first not to smoke on there Veranda. If it happened again you can receive a fine of $250.00 and or be told to leave at the discretion of the captain. Anyway we didn't mind not smoking on the Veranda. The bad part is if I would have known before I booked this cruise I may not have taken a Veranda. This cruise I spent more time on deck 11. Unfortunately Celebrity needs to change there smoking area and allow 1 bar to be able to smoke in. Muster was at 4:15 it was very simple process. Then at 5:00 we started to set sail for Hawaii. Leaving San Diego was rainy and chilly. It seemed that the rain seemed to have followed us throughout the whole cruise. We walked around the ship to familiarize ourselves with the ship. Went back to our stateroom and got ready for dinner. The first night was " smart casual" . My husband wore nice shorts and a collared shirt. He was told nicely that you have to wear pants and a collared shirt. My husband told the assistant matre'd that he had dress pants and nice shirts but was missing his jacket. My husband accidentally left his suit in the airport. All he had was 1 pair of dress pants. Thanks to Lize and Terrance from Guest Relations they loaned my husband a tux. At least my husband was able to wear his nice pants to dinner. The tux on formal nights. There were people in the MDR with shorts on the 2nd and 3 rd day of the cruise. We even saw a guy hiding behind his wife waiting to get into the MDR. The FORMAL NIGHTS they even let people in the MDR with jeans and T shirts. They even were handing out jackets to the guys that did not have one. The guys were putting them on the back of there chairs.

The 5 days at sea was cold and raining. Sad but true. We had rough seas the first couple of days and there were a lot of people sick. With the not so nice weather and 5 days at sea. I participated in a lot of the Hawaiian craft classes, hula lessons, ukulele lessons, shopping shows, lectures to pass time. The shows were good. The theme nights were good. There really wasn't much going on at poolside during the day. I think there should have been. There wasn't even a poolside party at night. With 14 days at sea it would have been nice. It seemed any nightly activities ended about 10 or so. The food in the MDR was not so good. A lot lot of the meat dishes were dry including the LOBSTER TAILS at the final FORMAL NIGHT. After the first 5 nights in the MDR not so good. Even the bread choices were not so good either. We mostly ate in the buffet for dinner. The food was much better and you had more choices. We went to The Murano. We had an excellent experience.

Finally we arrived in Honolulu. It was a beautiful day. There was rainbows galore. We went to The Arizona. It was a very moving experience. Looking down at the boat I could not imagine what they went through. It is a must see. After our tour we got to the ship. Later that day we took a walk around. We even had to hurry back to the ship because of rain storm that came down from the mountains.

Next stop was Maui. It was so pretty. We shopped til we dropped. Even took the bus to Whaler's Village for some more shopping. The whales were putting on a show all over the place. I got some great video of them. They were so close to the ship. They were pretty cool to watch.

Next we went to Hilo. We went to Volcano's National Park. We came off the ship it was raining. The first stop was MAUNA LOA. This was a self tour of the famous Macadamia nuts. Lots of free samples and spent a lot of money well worth it. Then onto the Volcano National Park. Lucky us we were able to see everything with a little bit of sunshine. Then when we got to the visitor center and gift shop it started to rain. As we were heading back to the ship it started to rain heavy. Rained heavy for the rest of the day. Hilo is the rainiest island in Hawaii.

The evening sail Mount Kilauea our ship was suppose to make 360 degree turn. We were unable to do because the winds and weather was not permitting. But it was pretty cool to see. Best viewing was between 9 - 10. Again the rain hindered us again.

Our last and final stop is Kona. If you were up early we all heard a loud bang. If you weren't you were woken up to the loud noise. All of a sudden we see one of our life boats being towed. We didn't think anything of it. Figured maybe 1 of the boats were being brought to shore for maintainance. I went down to get a tender number. I get #2. I asked what time can we come down for tender. They said the first tender will be about 7:15 am. We went down and waited about 45 minutes or so. No said anything about why we were being delayed. Finally we boarded the first tender. We got to the mainland to see the lifeboat with a huge hole in it. We exited the tender to see 2 ambulances and a Kona Police van. No one would tell us anything. Kona was really nice. We walked in and out of the shops. Walked all over the water front. The weather was sunny and warm and a warm welcome. We got back onto the ship early I wanted to take advantage of the warm sunshine. After we returned back onto the ship we finally found out what happened to the lifeboat. Luckily there were only minor injuries. BUT The Century is in dier need of maintainance and TLC. The cables on the lifeboat broke from rust and being old. It is time for some maintainance on an old ship. If you look around you see it for yourself. Finally after being delayed for a few hours we set sail back home enroute to Ensanada. We even had a Hawaiian Sail Away party. It was the first time all week we had something at poolside. It didn't last long. Everyday there should have been something and there wasn't. Maybe because there were older people on the ship. It was lacking things for the younger people.

Now with the 5 sea days back. The weather again was not in our favor. Again rain, heavy winds and rough seas. If it wasn't for The Hawaiian Group June, Gerri and Lahaina. I would have been bored. I met some wonderful people. Don't know if I would ever see them again.... BUT you never know. While at sea we had our 2nd FORMAL NIGHT. The second seating at MDR was delayed 30 - 45 minutes. Let me back up a bit. My sister in law was showering for the dinner. Well all of a sudden the water stopped in the shower. They had to get water from the stateroom attendant. He gave them bottled water to rinse herself off. Meanwhile we were in the stateroom next to them and we had water. We were all ready to go to dinner and the announcement came that dinner will be delayed. Well we ended up eating at the buffet all dressed up. After dinner we went back to our stateroom to change out of our FORMAL ATTIRE. To find we had brown water. I called Guest Relations. They called me back and told me to run the water in my sink. So I did. While my I was running the water in my sink. The sink over flowed I had to use all the clean towels to wipe up the water. I called again to Guest Relations and they said they will send up a plumber. The plumber arrived and unclogged the sink and he also did the tub. He said the brown water was from when they shut down the power and water to fix whatever happened in the galley. All of deck 6 had no water. We even had brown water the next morning. A few people even had problems with there toilets. Someone spent there first 18 hours on the ship with a toilet not working properly and they were seasick. I know of 2 different people prior to this incident had a problem when they flushed there toilet. In 1 stateroom the water hit the walls. Even after it was fixed it did not flush. The 2nd person I know flushed the toilet and the water went up into her butt. But it is not funny. Some people didn't have cold water in there showers on deck 8. When they complained it wasn't going to get fixed til a week later because the had to shut the water off to fix the problem. This isn't right. The 3 rd FORMAL NIGHT our food was awful. The lobster was dry and burnt. At this point why bother to complain. I couldn't wait til the trip was over. I had enough already and couldn't wait to get home. Also someone vomitted at the table at the early seating FORMAL NIGHT #3. Hazmat had to come in and clean the table. Saw 2 pictures. Rumors around the boat said that alot of the crew were sick. This is how germs get passed on from person to person. There were a lot of the passengers not using the hand sanitizer. Especially in the buffet area. I complained on numerous occasions to guest relations. Finally they had someone there to put it on as you enter. For those that don't use it along with washing your hands with soap and warm water. You are putting yourself at risk of Norovirus.

This was suppose to be my husbands retirement cruise. This cruise left a very bad taste in my mouth. I had a great experience on the Equinox because of that we did put $100.00 open passage deposit. I will not go back on the Century. This ship needs some tlc and upgrades. There were people that did stand out.

Gabriella Our stateroom attendant and the assistant attendant.

The Hawaiian Group June, Gerri and Lahaina. All of your classes were enjoy-

able. Very informative.

Lize and Terrance from Guest Relations

Alexandria from Fresh squeezed juice. She was a wonderful person.

Alec manager in the buffet area. He bent over backwards for us. A special thanks for the fresh ginger.

Annulah and Cagla our waiters from MDR 2nd seating. Sorry for not going to dinner every night. For the times we were there they very accomodating to us.

Jamie for teaching the Thriller Flash Mob. A lot of fun.

Our Captain for getting back and forth safely.

Publication Date: 03/07/13