Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by bluehorsefun

Cruise Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: I1

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Better than I'd expected!
I've read some reviews on here and they were average at best. Prior to boarding Norweigian Sky, I'd been on one Carnival cruise. It was atrocious and I'd honestly never expected to cruise again. Now that I've been on a Norweigian ship, I DO expect to cruise again.

Accomodations: We had the cheapest option. Inside, no upgrades and BARE minimum. When we entered the room, honestly, we were just hoping to not have bunk beds stuffed into a closet. What we did have was a nice full sized bed (actually, two twins together), a clean and well maintained room, a small television, and the bathroom was actually bigger than what we'd had in Miami. The ice was always filled, the towels were always clean, and we yet somehow we never once heard a knock on the door.

Food: On the first night, late night food we heard a gentleman complain that it was the "worst food he'd ever had in his life". Umm...excuse me, but it was after 11, half the people in the buffet area were drunk, and to be honest, I thought the food was just about right. No, it wasn't gourmet, but what do you expect at that time! We never once upgraded our meals and with the Palace and Crossings, we had excellent service and perfectly nice meals. Was the gnocci, great, no...but hey, it wasn't bad either and I've had bad gnocci at rather good restaurants too. I do suggest everyone try the Scotch Kipper for breakfast. It was unique and very good! Otherwise, the lines for the buffet were generally fairly long, but the lines for the included restaurants were not. Just skip the buffet and have a nice sit down meal, when it's offered!

Entertainment: The comedian was atrocious, but the Four Seasons band was pretty good. The entertainment was right on what I'd expected. Everyone was talented and probably my only complaints would be the comedian and that all the lounge singers had heavy accents.

Pool/Hot Tubs: We traveled in a burst of cold and wet weather so hardly anyone used the deck, but everyone was in the hot tubs. The hot tubs were well staffed with waiters and though some of the inhabitants, were...uh...well, they were having fun, I suppose.

Overall - I was very happy with the decor (very updated), the staff (very friendly), the freestyle options (lots!) and would be happy to go on a cruise with Norwegian again. I also liked how the large percentage of people were young, up for a good time and very few kids.

Publication Date: 03/08/13
Read the Bahamas ports review by bluehorsefun
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews