Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by Bigorange&crimsoncruiser: Navigator of the Seas, Navigating around Norovirus

Bigorange&crimsoncruiser
0 Post

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Navigator of the Seas, Navigating around Norovirus

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

First thing I want to mention is how incredible the crew was considering the ship had norovirus present, the cruise before us has over 100 cases, the virus was all but gone when we disembarked. We had to board late due to sanitizing the ship but that was a minor inconvenience. We were a party of 4, in two staterooms and none of us caught the bug. :) Yeah! Royal Caribbean notified us of the virus before we left for the port and that there was a delay boarding. They were professional and everything was super clean. Us two couples travel together cruising and on land and we had a great time.

We drove to the port and spent one night in New Orleans, boarding was late but efficient considering the extra precautions due to Norovirus. The windjammer was not open at the time of boarding which I thought was poor planning. They opened the windjammer (buffet dining) at 2:00 which meant everyone was on board and very hungry. Norovirus on board meant that they had to serve us in the More buffet lines and the biggest problem was rude inpatient cruisers. We were all in the same boat (so to speak) and they had plenty food, people were just impatient, these people complained and were impatient the entire cruise, even though the Captain and crew were working hard to keep us all healthy. I had no complaints except chapped hands from an allergic reaction to hand sanitizer.
Food was good but not great, I found it was not as good as our first cruise on Navigator of the seas in 09. NOS Captain was highly concerned about the virus and it was handled well.
The port of New Orleans is nice for the New Orleans experience. The port itself was like navigating through a maze.
Navigator is in the voyager class, has plenty to offer- multiple pools one of them an adults only pool with large hot tubs in the area, spa, beautiful 3 level dinning room, casino,clubs, and 24 hour cookie and snack shop on the Royal Pramenade. I had heard there are no quiet spots on mega ships, not true, there are numerous seating areas you can quietly sit back and relax. We found one next to the sky bar and played cards when we had extra time or wanted to unwind, just the 4 of us. We also had our private balconies.

Our cabins we were on deck 8, room 8603, balcony room, great clean room, comfortable bed and quiet location. We were around the corner from the elevators but had no noise from that,we have booked same general area and we will continue to book this area, close to elevators and the internet cafe. I did not pack my own computer but enjoyed a few minutes to check on my family back home from the internet cafe. Speaking of internet is is slow, all ships have slow internet, you just expect that from a ship internet.

The entertainment was a comedian who was very good his name is Scott Record but and an Elvis impersonator, he was talented guy but I do not enjoy a tall skinny Elvis as my headliner entertainment. The ship crew shows were OK, usual show for RCI. We always do the Ice Show, which is excellent, Love and Marriage show (always a blast) and the QUEST!!! A MUST SEE! (for adults ONLY!)

There are two formal nights on the 7 night cruise, some still wear Tuxedos and Gowns, I prefer a nice cocktail dress.

Our ports were Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel. Falmouth is still a port being developed and there is not that much do to there. Grand Cayman is beautiful and rich, which is why it stands out from other islands. Cozumel is typical tourist local with plenty to offer. We docked at Falmouth and Cozumel and had to tender to Grand Cayman. The tendering process was easy even though we were doing it during a storm. No problems at the ports getting on or off the ship.

The Navigator is showing her age a little bit, I believe she is on the list to be refurbished, I think this was more apparent since we were just on a newer larger ship 6 months before this cruise. I would recommend this ship for a family, couple, or group of friends who want an affordable enjoyable week away in the beautiful Blue Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

8306 great cabin, around the corner from the Internet cafe, elevators and stairs. Very quiet comfortable cabin. We have booked this area of the ships we have sailed many times and will continue to do so.

We got our own taxi and explored on our own. This was our 4th time to Cozumel and decided not to schedule anything. We had a great time there are many taxis right at the port and the cost were minimal.
Read 3140 Cozumel Reviews

Excursion to Good Hope with horse and buggy ride. The excursion was nice, and informative however the horse and buggy ride was very very short. The excursion could have been about 1/2 the time and been OK. :)
Read 492 Falmouth Reviews

Dolphin Encounter

(3)
Dolphin encounter and beach break. Encounter means you get your picture made with the dolphin and can touch them for a minute or two, nothing like the dolphin encounter in Mexico. That part of this excursion was a waste of time and money. We also had lunch which was a little sandwich, chips, and a can of beer or a few soft drinks, and or water. The beach in Grand Cayman was beautiful and wonderful break in December but the excursion was not worth the money paid. We should have done just the beach break.