Disney Magic Cruise Review by shiner6

Member Name: shiner6
Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 7A
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        3-6 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
First Cruise ever on Magic
My first cruise on Disney Magic last December has left me with wonderful memories. I would never even have considered such a vacation if it hadn't been for the reviews I read on this site. We live in Weatherford, Texas, so it was about a 5 hour drive to our port of Galveston. We parked our car at Boi Valet (as per recommendations on this board) for about $65. It was so easy....I dropped everyone off at the terminal, then parked the car and walked across the street to meet them. We spent a short time waiting to board in the terminal. It was EASY! The most confusing part was looking where to go once we arrived onboard, but we quickly figured it out.

We had 2 rooms....a navigator's verandah for hubby and I and an inside room directly across from ours for our daughter and grandaughter. The rooms were nicely located, comfortable and quiet. There was tons of storage space and the verandah was a nice touch although I was a little disappointed that you needed to stand up to appreciate the view. This would be great for families with small children if safety is an issue. The split bathroom was a marriage saver--great design and plenty of storage for everything. I brought an over the door hanger for sundries, but really did not need it. Overall, the congeniality of all of the crew was what made this trip so fantastic. Disney does a superb job of making their guests feel welcome. We had the early dining option, which I am thankful for. We had the very best Servers Dervant Bennett and Debbie Sumendap! They were the nicest waitstaff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Our grandaughter especially fell in love with Dervent--he was graceful and funny at the same time ( he told us to call him "Strawberry" and we had great fun with that for the rest of our journey). They almost danced as they went about their duties...it was amazing to watch them perform in a cacophony of hungry patrons. We particularly enjoyed the elegant breakfast service. The captain's party was great fun--plenty of character opportunities as well as free cocktails---how can you not have a good time? The characters were everywhere, and the quality was...well it is Disney after alll, as you might expect, they were flawless!! We found ourselves smiling....a lot....everyday! I enjoyed every show, thought the productions were Broadway quality (and I am a season subscriber to the arts). Loved, loved, loved the Bingo matinees!!! Funny and entertaining, plus, I won a little bit and I never win anything!! Made my day! We purchased the beer MugPackage and found this to be quite convenient. We also brought a few bottles of wine with us to enjoy in our room, quite nice.

Our grandaughter had her hair braided on day 2 and this saved us from untangling hair all week after swimming etc. We also used a few of the Spa services and found them quite relaxing if a little pricey.

Pirate nite was fun, but a little too late for our little one. The fireworks at sea was worth the extra effort and will remember it for years to come. I had made pirate costumes for all of us and we enjoyed dressing the part. Next time I will not fixate on costumes so much. A little makeup and a scarf will do the trick nicely and they even give you the pirate scarf at dinner....no worries! The kids club met and exceeded every expectation we had. It was soooo funny to walk in and see my little Princess entranced by a female Army person in full camo. They were enacting TOY STORY army figurines!! It was hilarious!!! I could rave on and on about how nice it was, instead, I booked another cruise for this December, can't wait to go again!! I must add a note about our Stateroom host Edy Ipong---he was sweet,caring and extremely courteous....I would promote him! I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks to all who helped me by posting on this forum.

Publication Date: 03/07/13