Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by BigSid: Celebrity needs to go back to good old fashion basics.

BigSid
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity needs to go back to good old fashion basics.

Sail Date: February 2013

This was our 20th cruise of which 6 were on Celebrity. I too could not believe some of the negative reviews about Celebrity written here by others. Unfortunately, we found many of the negative reviews have merit.

Embarkation went well. We arrived around 11am, presented our sea pass form and were on the ship in about 20 minutes. Got into the cabin a little after 1pm and were met by our cabin steward Helen who asked me to sign for our on-board credit. (This was a first). I noticed the sender information was blank and went down to guest relations to see if they could tell me who sent the credit to us. They couldn't and made no attempt to find out. The answer I got was "It's probably from your cruise consultant" which I had suspected.

I did not find a dinner table reservation in the paperwork in the cabin (another first) so I went down to Cuvee (along with many others)for our table assignment. I asked if it was a large table and was told it was a table for two but not to More worry because " the tables are so close together that you will be able to talk to other guests". (Got that right). We ended up all the way in the back adjacent to the waiters' station. Not the greatest but did not complain. The first night, people were being moved from table to table around us. The second night, formal night, we went to our assigned table only to find that it was physically gone. I got the head waiter to find out what was going on and was told that "someone" must have taken our table but he would find us another for the night. Here we are standing in the middle of the MDR, my wife in a long gown and me in my tux waiting for a table as waiters whizzed by us carrying trays loaded with food. Not a comfortable situation. Our table magically reappeared the next night. Seated where we were gave me an opportunity to observed the waiters and their assistants do their job. These people work hard, do a great job, and should be given much credit.

Food was OK, not much on presentation. Meat was always cooked as requested. You could get no sugar added desserts but no sugar free. The Ocean View Cafe had a good selection for breakfast and lunch. Always able to get a table. Had one cook on each side of the room cooking eggs to order. On a ship this size you need more.

We did not do any tours since we have been to the islands many times in the past.

Entertainment was cruise-ship fare. During the juggler and aerialist performances the singers were wailing something over and over. Could not understand what they were saying.

Disembarkation went well. Got off exactly as requested

Celebrity has gone too far with all the extra cost activities and events. As I stated at the beginning of this review, they need to get back to basics. Holland America is our cruise line choice from now on. Not only do they retain some of the classic traits of cruising, they do it with style and class. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Panorama Deck (9) 8232