Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by caseythegr: Our Family Cruise on the NCL Dawn

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Our Family Cruise on the NCL Dawn

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

We started our vacation by staying with friends overnight in Tampa, only to get a phone call the next morning that the channel was closed due to fog. We ended up not being able to board until 7 pm that evening. While we were disappointed to miss that first day on the ship, we were happy to just be able to get on board and sail out of the channel before they closed it again. That being said, the Captain and crew did an amazing job of turning the ship around for the boarding passengers. After a quick meal, and free wine, in Aqua we walked around and explored the ship. Our luggage was there when we returned so we unpacked and called it a night. The beds were comfortable and we slept very well. Our cabin attendant was "Harry", he took care of us and our 2 boys who shared the inside cabin across the hall. We lovingly referred to it as the "cave", and commended Harry for being brave and cleaning it each day. Harry was very efficient and we never wanted for anything. I wrote a More hero's award for him.
We ate breakfast in the Garden Cafe everyday with the exception of one day we went to the Venetian. The service was great but the food to me was the same, so it was easier to go to the buffet everyday. We varied for lunch-Blue Lagoon, Bimini, Garden Cafe and were never disappointed. I thought my younger son was going to turn into a chicken wing he ate so many of them. For dinner we mainly stuck to the pay restaurants, as nothing appealed to any of us in the MDR's most of the time.
We only made it to one show, the magician, who I thought did a good job. I swore this would be the cruise that I made it to the White Hot party, but it will have to be the next cruise.
Our favorite spot was the Pearly Kings Bar with Chips Ahoy the bartender. They offered 2 for 1 drinks from 4-6 pm everyday which made for a good relaxing spot at the end of the day.
We did notice the chair hogs, but not as many on this cruise. I did see some blue dot supporters too. The hot tubs were cool on the first day, but after that they were perfect.
One note about this cruise, there were only 60 cruisers under that age of 16 years, and the majority of the cruisers were 60 years old and up. The ship is in good shape and the staff very efficient. I would definitely sail on her again. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 11652

Cabin 11652-Mid Ship Mini Suite with Balcony. Good size and well appointed. Bathroom has a tub. Ample drawer and closet space. I had to crawl over my husband to open the closet. Below the Garden Cafe, but heard very little noise from it.

Again this was our 2nd time to Belize and we opted for the Cave Tubing with VIV tours. Our guide was Devon Rocca aka "The Rock" and he was amazing. He told us about the history of Belize on the hour long drive to the Caves. The walk to the caves was an easy 45 minute hike through the rain forest and Devon pointed out everything of interest. I would highly suggest this tour, but be prepared for 2 hours of travel (one hr each way) over very rough road. Devon spoke about how proud he was to live in Belize City and how proud it's residents were of their homes, but what struck me as odd was there was trash everyone. I am proud of where I live too, that's why I periodically pick up the trash that people throw out of their cars. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks to CC we went to the Tropicante Beach Resort. It was a quick cab ride and we were on the beach. All I can say is "amazing"! We sat in our loungers and ordered drinks, had lunch, rented jet skis and paddle boards all for $200. It was well worth it.

We only got off the ship to pick up a few things, otherwise I could completely bypass this port and be happy.
Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

This was our 2nd visit to Roatan. My family wanted to zip line and I wanted to go to the beach. There was another couple from CC that wanted so snorkel so we split the cost of a charter through Rony's Tours. They dropped my family off at South Shore Zip Line and then brought me to Fosters and the other couple to snorkel. I was not impressed with Fosters as the beach was dirty and most of the loungers were old and in need of repair. We ordered Pina Coladas from the bar which were basically just mix, no rum, when I asked for more rum the bartender gave me a watered down shot in a separate glass. I did tell him that watering down drinks did not make for good business and he just smiled at me. When my family was done they brought them from the Zip Line to the beach and they we not impressed either. I know that everyone is trying to make a living, but honestly I wish I had a sign that said "No, I do not want a massage, my hair braided, a cigar. etc..not now and not later"... There was a group of cruisers from Princess on the beach with us, that is where I learned that the admission to Fosters ($10)included a free drink coupon. Our tour guide never let me know that and kept the coupons. When I asked him about it he played dumb, but I know I saw them hand him the tickets! We left the beach early and picked up the other couple on the way back. Once back to the ship we had to pay, our original quote was 20$ each, they charged us 25$! I wish I had printed the original email with the $20 quote. I will be emailing the company about this.
Read 1644 Roatan Reviews