Westerdam Cruise Review by LauraJoe: Luxurious but too many pretentious passengers!

LauraJoe
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Westerdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Luxurious but too many pretentious passengers!

Sail Date: February 2013

OVERALL: The Westerdam went above and beyond my husband and I's expectations for service, cleanliness, luxury, and quality. We had an ocean view room that was very nice (and more spacious than what we were expecting). Our cabin stewards were fantastic and extremely professional, and my husband and I had a great time sight-seeing and taking advantage of the shore excursions offered by HAL.

DINING: I LOVED all of the food choices on the Westerdam. The lido always served a large variety of options. My husband and I stuck mainly with the Asian options because about 95% of the crew were of Asian descent (mainly from the Phillipines) and we figured they know how to cook their own food. Boy were we right: The Asian section of the Lido was always fantastic, and we highly recommend it for anyone who is open to eating things other than hamburgers and fries on a cruise. My husband and I also spent the $40 for a night at the Pinnacle Grill, the Westerdam's award-winning restaurant. It was More PHENOMENAL! The service was outstanding and the food was out of this world. The Vista Dining room food was superb, but the wait time was often quite long. We would go at around 6pm and not be leaving until around 8pm.

ENTERTAINMENT: The Westerdam put forth their best effort in this category; however, since my husband and I are under age 55, we found the entertainment to be a little blase for our taste. The show tunes were primarily from the 50's and 60's, and although those decades produced some fine tunes, I would have liked to experience some entertainment that was at least from our own generation. There was one night where they had an Elton John tribute that was OUTSTANDING and hilarious. Other than this, I felt the entertainment was geared more towards the older crowd. Which brings me to my next category....

CLIENTELE: My husband and I were told prior to booking with HAL that their ships are geared towards an older crowd, so we figured we knew what to expect: quieter nights, a slower pace, etc. However, we were SHOCKED at the ways in which other passengers treated staff. On a regular basis, we overheard 70 year-old guests literally YELLING at poor crew, complaining of the most ridiculous things. For example, my husband went to the spa to purchase me a massage and had to stand behind an older woman yelling at the front desk woman that the steam in the steam room "wasn't hot enough." Are you kidding me? Every time we walked past the front desk, we would hear some retiree talking down to a crew member as if we were still in the era of slavery and that these crew members were property. WE WERE APPALLED!!!! I couldn't believe that on a luxury cruise ship that has so much to offer, pretentious and well-to-do passengers thought they were entitled to speak to crew members in such a rude and inappropriate manner. Nonetheless, crew members always seemed to keep a smile and assist these guests. As guests ourselves, my husband and I were embarrassed to say the least.

All in all, my husband and I were very impressed with the service we received on the Westerdam. In fact, our only real complaint has nothing to do with the Westerdam itself, but with the other passengers! I would recommend this ship to retirees but NOT to anyone under the age of 55. The ship did their best, but there's only so much you can do when the only people who book it happen to be old, wealthy, and pretentious. Also, beware of wheelchairs GALORE! If you think walking around through Wal-Mart is frustrating, try navigating a ship where about 60% of the passengers are on some sort of assisted vehicle. It's like spending a week at a retirement home, or as I like to call it: Death's waiting room. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam 1108

Our cabin was close to the elevators, which was both a pro and a con. It was conveniently located, but every time someone got on or off the elevator, it made a loud beeping sound that was initially disruptive when we were trying to sleep. By the end of the cruise, however, we had grown accustomed to it and were not bothered by it. We were close to the front desk, which was helpful while my husband was quarantined because we sat in our room and watched movies for 2 days, and the front desk is where you have to go to get the movie.

Snuba

LOVED IT! However, there were some sanitation concerns with the snuba masks. Although they were cleaned in soapy water before the first group used them, there were no efforts made to sanitize the masks before the second group. My husband and I were in the second group, and within 24 hours after the excursion, my husband came down with a severe upper respiratory infection and a fever of 103. We had to spend a small fortune to see the on-ship doctor and my husband was quarantined for 2 days during our cruise. We believe he may have caught it from using the same mask as a complete stranger who has been breathing (and possibly coughing) in it for 30 minutes prior to my husband using it.
Read 1 Snuba Reviews

Beautiful port! I wish we had gone off the ship, but my husband was quarantined at this point.
Read 1362 San Juan Reviews