Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by getupgo: IMPRESSED WITH NCL

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

IMPRESSED WITH NCL

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

The crew of this ship was the most caring, attentive, thoughtful, cheerful, helpful, and personable I have ever encountered in 30 years of cruising. This was my first NCL cruise and I was impressed with the overall experience.

The cruise before us could not get into port so it created a difficult situation. Everyone was forced to board at once instead of spread over a 4 hour period. The whole process was very organized and handled far better than anyone could ever expect. We were given minute by minute updates on text, email, and phone calls so we knew what was happening.

Our background is Carnival and Royal Caribbean and two cruise lines that are out of business (Big Red Boat and Royal) We had a bad experience on Carnival Triumph out of New Orleans 6 years ago and swore off of it forever and started with Royal Caribbean. We live in the Tampa area during the winter and we are retired so we usually cruise twice a year. This year, Royal Caribbean dropped Costa More Maya from their cruises so we switched to NCL which was a nice result. WE did give Carnival another chance last November on a short cruise to the Bahamas on the Ecstacy which was a very positive experience.

We previously sailed on a ship that had set times in one dining room and one Your Time Dining which worked very well, but this was our first experience with the whole ship freestyle dining so we expected long lines. That never happened. WE never waited even 5 minutes to be seated, and we ate many different times - 7 p.m., 8 p.m. 9 p.m. and even 9:30 p.m. WE never had a problem. We do like to be seated with others and you have to specifically request it or they will seat you alone. We like to visit with other couples and hear their adventures and life stories. We kind of miss having regular table mates, but the advantage of eating whenever we want to outweighed the loss. WE don't drink so do not hang out in bars which limits our interaction with other cruisers except during dining.

I cannot imagine anyone not finding something of quality to eat on the menus. We do not eat in the specialty restaurants and we had a big variety of dishes that were well prepared in the Aqua and Venetian. We had lobster, prime rib, salmon, tilapia, and rib eye steak in the main dining rooms and great choices in the Garden Cafe. The Venetian was exquisitely appointed with a beautiful atmosphere. The Garden Cafe had a huge variety to choose from but you had to realize that each line had different things and check them all out. I love sweet potato fries and they were offered every day and were crispy and delicious! I had an omelette every morning with the sausages I love. How anyone can complain about the food on this ship is beyond me.

I cannot say enough about the crew! The waitress and waiters in the dining rooms were very concerned that we were happy and well served. WE never had an excessive wait for our food. I always have iced tea and it came quickly and was refilled regularly. Our cabin steward kept our ice bucket filled which we never even requested. We got towel animals every day and got 2 one day. So much fun. Victor was our steward and he kept our room perfectly made in a timely manner. WE were never bothered by photographers insisting on photos like other ships in our experience.

WE were given excellent dance lessons and totally mastered the cha cha under the tutelage of our cruise director, Geo. All the entertainers were friendly and accessible. The guitar player actually helped me one day when I was trying to find a particular lounge.

The shows were excellent, and there was a big variety of music offered in different areas of the ship. WE loved the Abba Tribute.

WE do not use the ship excursions because we are very experienced travelers and are comfortable making our own arrangements which saves a lot of money. It was our first time in Roatan and we used Rony's Tours to go to West Bay for snorkeling. If you are not very comfortable in the water, I would not try a beach snorkel without a guide. WE are and had a wonderful time on a beautiful reef spending hours in the water. There was a cliff to hang our towel and beach bag on with no problem with getting things sandy. WE did not pay for a lounger or entrance fee. We live in Florida 5 miles from the beach so the beach experience was not our goal. We were there for the snorkeling. WE were able to hook up with 4 others which reduced the price of a private guide to $25 each. We found them on the Roll Call Meet and Greet. Some in the group paid an extra $10 for a lounger in a different area of the beach. We told our guide what we wanted good snorkeling and he delivered.

In Belize, we used V.I.V. and were very happy with the service. WE did zip line and cave tubing. It was the dry season so the tubing was not the fast flow experience I expected which was a little disappointing. They gave us a great lunch before returning to the ship.

WE went to town in Costa Maya for $3 to and $2 return taxi. We found Banana Tours on the beach in town and went out on a skiff for an hour in the water on the reef and 15 minute boat ride for $15 each.

Disembarking was so easy! NCL does not rush you if you do not need to catch a flight and allows you to disembark at your leisure. WE stayed out of everybody's way because we were being picked up by a friend. Very easy and well organized like every aspect of an NCL cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 8650

I don't know what cabin category we were in but it was an aft, unobstructed view outside cabin. First of all, the bathroom is the nicest I have ever seen on a ship. I loved it and my husband did too. The size of the bathroom compromised the size of the cabin, but it was worth it. At first impression, the cabin looked too small, but it was very functional. For the two of us, it was fine; but it would have been impossible to add another person. We take turns getting out of bed and getting dressed (my dh gets up earlier than I do) so it worked fine for us. The closet space was very small but again, it worked for us and was functional. In spite of taking too many clothes - many more than I used - we found a place for everything. The bed was fine for us, but it may have had an extra pad on it because I have read where others thought it was hard. The walls are very thin. We were lucky that our neighbors did not snore or talk loud because others said they had problems. Our location was great. Aft deck 8. Make sure your cabin is not under The Spinaker lounge because you can hear the boom boom boom of the music and that is a VERY active lounge, A lot of fun stuff goes on there pretty late at night. WE were happy with our cabin but it was just lucky that our neighbors were quiet. We tried to keep our tv low and be considerate of others. There were no children in our area. I loved the magnifying glass which I have never seen before.

We used V.I.V for zip line. I think they should warn that there is a very steep 100 step climb so elderly people with health issues should not try this. The zip line in Roatan (I think) does not require a hard climb so I would do it there if you are not extremely fit. There is also a little bit of a challenging hike for cave tubing but V.I.V does not require you to carry your own tube like the excursion offered by the ship. VIV also provides a very comfortable tube with a headrest and netting on the bottom which is better than the ship excursion. Their tubes hook together which is better than holding onto other people.

Snorkeling

(4)
WE went to town and found the vendor on the beach with skiffs. It was a 10 minute boat ride out to the reef and an hour in the water. The reef was pretty but not many fish. $15 each.

WE didn't go ashore because of bad weather and we have been there many times.
Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
Already stated above. WE used Rony's Tour, ronystours.com and were pleased with the service. WE went to West Bay for the beach snorkeling. Total cost was $25 because we hooked up with others to reduce the price on Cruisecritics Roll Call. Recommend boat snorkeling for amateurs because getting out to the good reef may be difficult and scary for a beginner.
Read 1644 Roatan Reviews