Voyager Cruise Review by sunrise@sea: Voyager, the new

Voyager, the new

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Other

First let me say I pick my cruises by itinerary and not by ship or cruise lines. My previous Voyage-of-Discovery cruise aboard Discovery which I believe is no longer in service was fantastic, but not because of the ship but because of the itinerary in Africa. Voyager is mostly the same crew, service, and English culture. But in my opinion it's much improved.

Pros:

The food was great with open seating in two venues. I've never seen so much fresh fruit and veggies on a ship, honest. Like maybe they are reading our comment on the comment cards?

The service was also fine, the crews mostly coming from the old ship with lots of experience.

While I enjoy smaller ships, at around 500 Voyager is not too small or too big and there is as much or as little camaraderie as you want.

Best of all this is a British ship and afternoon tea is not to be missed.

Cons:

The ship itself is older (several previous names) and recently More refurbished which is fine, but much of the design couldn't be refurbished. Like the showers smaller than the one in your Class B motorhome. Or the pool/spas that are more than a bird baths that nobody uses. Or the token library that everyone constantly walks through to get to the restaurant.

Entertainment--This is very subjective but why do cruise ships think that everyone is going to enjoy American Oldie cover songs? Our cruise ships visit foreign countries with rich cultures and all we get is Neil Diamond elevator music played by mediocre lounge lizards? Why don't cruise lines exert some effort and have real music consultants pick their music? Nuff said.

Travel arrangements. Voyages of Discovery is set up for Brits on a package from the UK and if you are not on their package and need any time of transfer or adjustment before or after the cruise you're on your own. I didn't get stuck on this trip like I did the last time but they REALLY aren't going to help you in any way shape or form.

Summary:

This is not a small or expedition ship nor is it a traditional big ship experience. It's something in between with good food, good service and exceptionally interesting traveling companions from all over the UK. Will I go on another Voyager cruise? I'm certain I will. Less

Read more Voyager cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager 2212

The smallest shower I've ever had on a commercial ship. It was only a corner of the bathroom curtained off with a control that you constantly hit so the temp is always changing. The rest of the cabin was simple and basic. No couch or big chair, only a small chair at the desk.