Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by samiampsu

Celebrity Equinox
Member Name: samiampsu
Cruise Date: February 2013
Cabin Category: 2B
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

The Plight of the Solo Cruiser
My second cruise with Celebrity was about the same as the first. Bordering on spectacular to begin but more ordinary and disappointing as the cruise progressed.

I'm a solo cruiser. That means I pay for two people even though I'm the only one in the stateroom. I make this choice as I need alone time once or twice a year, and I have to keep only one person happy on vacation. My yearly cruise is in February due to work responsibilities. Just some background.

Positive: My "deluxe ocean-view with veranda" stateroom was clean, comfortable, and the room steward was attentive.

Negative: The cabin refrigerator emitted so much heat that the chocolate I put in the drawers next to it melted. I couldn't sit on the balcony as the people next to me were so loud. After the second night, I gave up and stayed inside.

Positive: The first two dinners. Prime rib the first and lamb chops the second.

Negative: Seated at table 575 in the back (I prefer to dine alone). Table 301 was no better. Service truly sucked. I'm assigning this to my solo status (although I do buy wine by the bottle).

Positive: Creme brulee.

Negative: Atlantic salmon so "fishy" I couldn't stand the smell or the taste. No escargots on the menu during the entire cruise.

I attended the Q&A for advantages of onboard future cruise booking. After the session, I asked why a solo cruiser had to pay for two. The rationale was the cruise line depends on two people in a cabin as two will spend more money on drinks, spa visits, etc. Since a large number of passengers were in their late 70's, 80's, and probably some older, I doubt this particular cruise filled the ship's alcohol/spa coffers to overflowing.

I will continue to cruise alone, and I most likely won't cruise with Celebrity again. I'd like to try smaller ships, but they're out of my "solo" price range.

One more comment. I signed up for and paid for a wine seminar. I never received the ticket. The sommelier did contact me and tell me she'd called my cabin, but I wasn't there. Obviously, since I thought the wine seminar was full, I did other things that day. I was comped a $15 wine and food pairing for the last day at sea.

I paid $3660.00 (included prepaid gratuities)for the cruise and another $840 in on-board expenses (wine, beer, spa, gifts, etc.) and who knows how much in the slot machines. Without the slots, that's over $400/day.

I would expect much better service for this price.

Publication Date: 02/28/13