MSC Opera Cruise Review by sea scorpion

Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Cape Town
Destination: Africa
Cabin Category: 10
See More About: MSC Opera Cruise Reviews | Africa Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Opera Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Opera Deck Plans
Impressive
Having never cruised with MSC before, I was sceptical about the level of service, food, amenities and cabin I would receive given the great deal I recived with regards to price.

On arrival at port, all my fears were allayed. Then boarding process was quick, efficient and well handled by the MSC staff. Passengers were allowed to board in groups based on the time they arrived at port. Once on board our cabin was expertly prepared by our dedicated cabin attendant, Achmad Fauzi.

Every night whilst we were at dinner, he prepared our cabin by turning back the sheets, closing the curtains, switching on lights and tidying up in general.

Being a lover of food, I never thought I would say this but I got tired of eating great food. Our dedicated dining staff attendant, a fiercly patriotic and proud Italian named Antonio saw to our every dining need. Service was quick, used plates whisked away almost without notice and the next course laid our for us. The quality of the food was worth the ticket price alone.

Our drinks waiter, Fnu, whose smile lit up the room was just as impressive.

Onboard entertainment was plentiful and the cruise director often had us in stiches with his banter at the BINGO evenings.

HOT TIP: If you are going to use the onboard spa, look out for their specials where you can get up to 40% off the set price when the ship is docked at any port.

My only two issues were (1) the two onboard jaccuzis are insufficient for all passengers. It would be preferable if another two were added.

Secondly the shower in the cabins is VERY small. Whilst you may only spend 10 minutes of your day there, it is very cramped.

BURNING QUESTION: Would I sail with MSC again? Without a doubt YES.

Publication Date: 02/28/13