Marina Cruise Review by crazygracie: why pay for concierge?????

crazygracie
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Marina South Pacific Cruises

why pay for concierge?????

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Other

We signed up for the highest level of concierge service because of the perks.....larger stateroom, priority check-in, priority boarding, free ironing of clothes, service of the concierge, etc. So I'll deal with each of these:
1. Larger stateroom. We were on level 11, with almost all suites, so I don't know if it was just our room, or all concierge level rooms (Looks like all.) It was the SMALLEST room we have been in EVER. That includes Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Some drawers only opened 4", and none were larger than 12"x12". Usually I put capris and shorts in drawers, but since there was no room, I had to use the closet...which was the SMALLEST closet we've ever had. There was so little storage room that I had "stuff" everywhere - very messy looking. Also, if you sat in the chair at the desk, you could not walk between the coffee table and the chair to get to the balcony. If you want more room, you will need to be in suite level.
2. Priority check-in. We were picked More up in a private care from the Intercontinental Hotel and dropped off in Papeete at 11:00. There was no priority desk - we waited in line with everyone else.
3. Priority boarding. There was none. Again, we waited until 6:00 pm to board like everyone else.
4. Ironing: There were coupons left in a drawer for 5 items to be ironed. This is misinformation by nondisclosure. In the brochure, it sounds like all your clothes will be ironed.
5. Service of the concierge: I complained to the reception desk about not getting what we paid for, they referred it to the concierge. I got a phone call from him, with a ton of excuses. I answered him again and again, after every excuse, "I understand that you had problems...no place for early check in - you should have known that - you've been there before, yet it was promised. No early boarding because of disembarking passengers - you should have known that, you've been there before, but it was promised. Small staterooms, you surely knew that, but we were still given those wonderful, enticing, promises. BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT WE PAID FOR THOSE EXTRAS AND GOT NOTHING!!! Again: WE PAID FOR THOSE EXTRAS AND GOT NOTHING!!! We would have gotten exactly the same level of service in any balcony room." I expected at least a shipboard credit, but got nothing but excuses. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!
The lesson is DO NOT PAY FOR CONCIERGE!!! YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR MONEY!!!
If you want extra room, it is a suite or nothing.
That being said, the food was fabulous, the guests and staff were very friendly, and we may cruise with Oceania again - this time in a suite.
Another suggestion for Oceania, is to have assigned dining. Because of all open dining, the first week everyone was looking for friends to dine with, and after the first week, most people had found friends and dined with them exclusively. If you met people you wanted to spend time with, you could meet them at any time, or lunch with them, and it would still be nice to have the same group to discuss your days with in the evening - something we enjoyed very much on Celebrity. If you had a table for 8 there would surely be people that you would enjoy.
Also, the shore excursions were nice, if overpriced. Next time we'll book our own. We had a problem with the ship excursions, in that our travel agent had us on waiting lists for several tours, and after we left home we were not informed that we had been confirmed on some of those, so we signed up for tours on board and ended up paying for 2 tours on the same day. In one case, I tried to sign up for a tour, and the excursions people said that I was not only signed up for that tour already, but also for another tour that same time. We should have been notified once on board ship...not just pre-cruise by our travel agent.
If not for the concierge level problems, and huge mark-up on tours, I would say that we got good value for our $$$. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Marina Review >>

Cabin review: Marina Conciege Level Veranda Deck Ten 11045

Tiny closet, tiny drawers, would have preferred a combo tub/shower and more closet room. Very little storage space.Quiet location. Good side of the ship for dock side performances. 11th floor was very nice... close to pool deck and topside dining.