Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by nyctravelerwithkids: Silhouette, what's going on with your service?

nyctravelerwithkids
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Silhouette, what's going on with your service?

Sail Date: February 2013

We were on the Eastern Caribbean cruise (St. Marten, St. Thomas, San Juan) from Feb 17 to 24, 2013. We wanted to cruise on this ship since it was built. We cruised with Celebrity 2 times before (to Alaska on Infinity and to Bermuda on Summit) and thought that there was no better service than on Celebrity. Apparently not on Silhouette. Before the cruise I read lots of negative reviews about Silhouette and just didn't want to believe them. When you read something like that you always tell yourself that that's probably written by "hard-to-please" people. But I was mistaken this time.

There was actually NO SERVICE on this ship! Especially in the common areas.
1. no coffee or tea was offered in the Oceanview buffet at any time on day - no servers were cruising around the buffet offering you drinks (LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE!). The only way to get your coffee was to make it yourself. No problem for us, but isn't it one of the reasons you go on the cruise - to be served and More pampered?
2. no drink service around the pool area, especially for the people with prepaid beverage package (like us). The first time you sit by the pool the waiter would appear in 10 min to take your order. Once he sees that you have the package - good luck to get your refill!
3. room cleaning service - aren't you supposed to have 'invisible' room making/cleaning service on your cruise? What I mean is that you are not supposed to notice when, or how, or by whom your room is cleaned and beds are made up on the cruise. At least that's what we had on our previous cruises. We always wandered how does our room attendant knows that we are not in the room and always cleans it by our return. NOT HERE! The cart with the cleaning supplies was in front of our room almost 24/7. We always could easily find it by this cart. Our room attendant did pretty good cleaning job, but we have always seen him nearby. He never knew if we are in the room or now. A couple of times the room wasn't made up by our return.
4. main dining room service - not bad, but not perfect! We were served promptly and politely. But all the time I was under the impression that they only do it to get the good customer review. And I was right - 2 last nights out main server kept asking us to leave "Excellent, good is not good enough" review for him and even gave us a piece of paper with his name to write it down on the review card.

Guys, am I wrong in my desire to have great service on the cruise? Am I wrong in my comments?

I read a book "Cruise Confidential" written by the person (American) who worked on the ships and then wrote the book about the experience. In that book he writes that the ship management tells the service crew that Americans are the easiest people in the world to serve. That Americans are not require good service. That they would be satisfied when you just ask them about where they are from, or how is their family, or talk about the weather. That isn't only Europeans that require invisible but excellent service. I thought that it was some kind of a joke. But on Silhouette it was exactly my feeling.

The only great review I can leave it's for the members of Fun Factory (Kid's club). My daughter (9) liked it so much, that didn't want to leave. She even cried on the last day, when we had to leave. Thank you very much, Fun Factory crew!

I don't know if it's just Silhouette's problem or Celebrity's. We had great service on Infinity and Summit. I keep blaming it not even on the service crew, but on the management that trained those people. Celebrity, wake up! train your ship managers first, before you allow them to train others!

Next cruise I'm back to Royal Caribbean! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette 7191

7191 - 2A (veranda), 7th deck. It's in the middle of the ship, but there are life boats directly under your balcony (on the 5th deck). I would prefer 9 decks or higher.

You don't need to buy any tours for this port. It's easily walkable, there is free trolley that goes to the fort ans taes you back to Old Town.
Read 1366 San Juan Reviews

We bought ship excursion to go to Oriental beach (included lunch and sun beds). You can easily just take taxi there and back.

Liked this port the best! But don't buy any ship excurtions. Take taxi to Magen Bay or Sapphire Beach for the swimming. Or take taxi to downtown for shopping. Or take taxi to Downtown and there sign up for the island grant tour woth any open-bus operators ($20-25 per person).
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews