Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by heartscontent: Sleeping Beauty

1 Post

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Sleeping Beauty

Sail Date: February 2013

The most recent Celebrity Silhouette ship ratings given by Cruise Critic reviewers have become increasingly negative. I was hoping to report that there was no need for concern; however, that is not the case. The issues with poor service are too numerous to list. However, when we expressed our concerns to Guest Relations, the management went to great lengths to rectify each situation. To those of you anticipating upcoming cruises on Silhouette, I can only suggest that you speak up if you should also encounter any problems.

Pros - This is undoubtedly a beautiful and well-designed ship. The public areas are stunning and the cabins extremely accommodating. The food in the main dining room was delicious. While I generally tend to avoid a ship's buffet, I found the one on Silhouette to be very good, with the option of sitting in a lovely open air dining area across the back of the ship. The specialty restaurant Qsine was an extraordinary dining experience worth every penny of More the $40 surcharge. Hint - they offer discounts on the first and last night of each cruise if you would prefer to pay $28. Loungers were plentiful on sea days; we particularly liked the cushy loungers on the somewhat hidden Solstice Deck, forward on Deck 16. The galley tour available on the first sea day was very well organized and informative.

Cons - As a 50 year old, I found this ship to be extremely sleepy. Perhaps its very quiet elegance will appeal to me in 20 or so years when I will be the age of the average guest. Entertainment options were limited and apart from a very funny guest comedian, usually mediocre. For someone who loves music and good quality shows, I realize that I have been forever spoiled by Oasis and Allure of the Seas where a Broadway show is Broadway caliber. For the first time, I now understand why "cruise ship entertainer" has a negative connotation. Regarding the aforementioned problems with poor service, let me just say that to point fingers at a particular nationality of staff members, as reported in recent reviews, is neither accurate nor acceptable.

Adjoining staterooms don't really adjoin, so depending on what you are looking for, this could either be a pro or a con. If you are not travelling with others, you need not worry about noise from a doorway. If you actually want adjoining rooms, the only practical access is via the balconies with the divider removed. In concept, there is a folding 'vestibule' door which should allow one access to two rooms. Our room steward, however, assured us that this door is too cumbersome to actually use.

Our group of seasoned cruisers have sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival and thought that Celebrity would be a step up. However, after sampling Celebrity Silhouette, most of us will return to our former favorites. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Vista Deck (8) 8323

Cabin 8323 1C category - quiet and spacious Connects to 8321 but only with an exterior door. Found that the folding 'vestibule' door designed to connect the two rooms was too cumbersome to use. Had the divider removed between the balconies instead.

In the interest of time, we chose not to take the free trolley, but took a $5 per person taxi ride from the ship to El Morro, the very scenic historic fort overlooking the entrance to San Juan harbor. It is not that far to walk, but I was saving steps due to a sore knee. For the same reason, we hopped onto the free trolley at El Morro's entrance and enjoyed a short ride to the first stop at the top of Calle Cristo, perhaps the most beautiful north/south street in Old San Juan. Across from the cathedral, we enjoyed excellent sangria and tapas in the El Picoteo restaurant located in the 350 year old Hotel El Convento. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening walk downhill back to the ship, stopping at great shops along the way.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

St. Martin is usually one of my favorite ports. This time we took a ship excursion to Marigot because we love to visit Sarafina's pastry shop for their excellent french macarons (not to be confused with the lowly American macaroon). When we did a similar trip two years ago, I don't recall there being traffic jams around the whole island. I was thankful to be on a ship excursion as a taxi ride would have been nerve wracking given the lengthy delays. Last year's America's Cup Yacht Race was a much better excursion option!

Had a perfect beach day although not only have all the Cruise Critic people found Emerald Beach, so have the pushy vendors! Will go to another beach next time - maybe will try taking the ferry at Crown Bay over to the uncrowded beach on Water Island ... I'm thinking that the ten minute ferry ride might deter the masses!
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews