Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Trishwos

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Trishwos
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Trishwos
Cruise Date: September 2006
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda
My husband and I were travelling (alone!) for our 10th anniversary. This was our 2nd cruise, the 1st was a Disney Cruise with the kids 3 years ago.

We thoroughly enjoyed our 5-day cruise to Bermuda. There were some highlights and lowlights.

Embarkation was easier than I anticipated. We arrived at Cape Liberty at around 11:00, there was a good amount of cars in front of us waiting to drop off their luggage to the porters. It probably took us about 15 minutes to do that, then we swung back around, parked our car, checked in, hopped the next bus to the ship and we were on board before Noon.

We had a D2 Balcony Stateroom which was a little smaller than I expected, but was fine for just the two of us. The real problem here was the bed....just old and uncomfortable. The bed and the bedding made me think about all the other of thousands of bodies that laid in it before I did and it kind of skeeved me out. I know RC is in the process of updating their bedding, it's not a moment too soon! I slept terribly the 1st night and asked for the room stewardess for some extra padding for the bed, it was there the next night, again, worn down, but I did sleep much better with it there. The sheets were always clean, but I found the blankets were more like sandpaper than cloth.

Food was average to above average. Windjammer = average. Dining room = more above average than average and Portofino was above average/excellent. I do feel Portofino is worth the extra $20 you are charged to eat there. We had excellent service in the Dining room. Our waitress and assistant waiter were very nice and we looked forward to seeing them every evening. One small problem with the DR. We had requested a table for two. Upon arriving on the ship we went to check to see if our request was granted. It was not, we were seated at a table for 8. The DR manager said he could put our name on list for a table of 2, but the table we were placed at were with all people our age (38,39) and we should give it a try. Well, the other couples at our table were in their 50's and 60's. They were wonderful people and we had a very nice time with them all week, but I felt like we were somewhat misled by the DR manager.

I really enjoyed the entertainment. The production shows, while somewhat hokey, were a lot of fun and the cast was very energetic and talented. The ice show was amazing and should not be missed! My husband loved the rock wall and said it was one of the highlights of his trip.

In Bermuda we rented scooters, although you are discouraged to do this, we found if you are careful and obey the traffic rules they are a fun way to get around and see the island. I recommend Horseshoe Bay, the rock formations and coves to explore there are wonderful. We also had a nice time at Snorkel park a short walk from where the ship is docked. Chairs and Snorkel equipment is expensive there, but I guess it's the price you pay for convenience.

Debarkation was a bit of a hassle, waiting for our colors to be called and then to be herded onto a bus to go find our luggage. But there is really no good way to get 3,000 people off a ship in an orderly fashion. Their system, for what it needed to accomplish, did just that.

Hiccups aside, we LOVED our cruise! I can't really compare it to the Disney Cruise since it's a way different experience travelling with kids versus travelling alone, but the only real difference I can think of between the two is the decor of the ship. I prefer the dark blues and reds of the Disney Magic to the Caribbean coral colors of the Explorer.

Publication Date: 10/07/06