Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by We Live To Cruise

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by We Live To Cruise
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: We Live To Cruise
Cruise Date: September 2006
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
The Navigator of the Seas is a beautiful ship, this is the 4th time we have cruised on one of their Voyager class ships and the reason is the variety of activities they offer.

We drove to Miami and parked our car in the lot at the port. Cost: $84.00 for the week. We gave our luggage to the porter and went up to get our sea passes. Royal Caribbean is pretty organized and we were on the ship by 1:00 pm. We proceeded to check out our cabin, outside category I Ocean View. It was very roomy, great storage and we noted the upgraded bedding right away. Very very nice sheets, duvet cover with green pillows. It sure looked good after the long ride to the port, but we had a lot of exploring to do, sleep later.

We proceeded up to the Windjammer to have lunch and like the other Voyager class ships, there is no waiting in line to get your food. I really like this concept of stations of food, it works so much better than the traditional buffet line. The food was pretty good and there were many selections to choose from.

We went exploring the ship, checked out the Cruise Compass to find out what activities were on tap for the voyage. There is a great cafe on the Promenade that you can get coffee, tea, snacks etc. so we sat there and made up our shore excursion selections. It was just fun to people watch and relax and dream about the upcoming week.

We had the required boat drill and about died of the heat, I know it's necessary but wow, it is so hot standing in those orange jackets in the sun. We couldn't wait till we got permission to take them off. Finally we were released and went up to the sail away. I love the sail away from Miami, it's so pretty to see all the beautiful homes and watch the city disappear from view as we sail off.

We decided to go to the concierge as we are Diamond members and have a quick drink. The lounge is very nice, but there was a really strange odor in the room. There are no windows like the lounge on the Brilliance of the Seas. I don't understand why they put the lounge where they did. We got our tickets for the Ice show and then went down to the Welcome Aboard Show.

The show was wonderful, a fabulous performer, Jennifer Drabik did an act on silks, she was amazing to watch and then a really really funny comedian Steve Bruner did his show.

After the show, we had our dinner, first seating. We tried to change to 2nd but nothing was available this sailing so we managed with the early seating. Our waiter was Bond, James Bond, as he said, very good service and very personable. I would have to say as far as the food goes, it was just ok, nothing memorable except maybe the Vidalia Onion Tart and the Tomato soup. We ate at Chops one night and the food there was very good, excellent steak. If you decide to eat there, starve for the whole day, there is so much good food you will be stuffed after you leave.

Sunday was our first day at sea and we spent it at the pool just relaxing. and listened to the band "Rhythm Section" who were upbeat and played the typical island songs. We met up with our Meet and Mingle at the Cruise Critic Party and it was nice to meet the people we had chatted with for so long. We also tried the rock wall, we didn't do too well, I'm afraid. We played Mini Golf and that was really fun and the views of the ocean from the course were amazing. That night was the first formal night, we were really surprised how casually people dressed, some still in shorts rather than suits. We had the first production show, "Now and Forever", very very good.

Our first Port was San Juan PR. We decided to take the Rain Forest tour. We drove up to the Rain Forest, about 45 minute drive. In my opinion, I was not impressed with the tour, I would not recommend it at all, there was really nothing to see. It was disappointing.

St. Thomas was our next port. We took a cab into town and did the shopping thing, definitely overload on Jewelry, but I managed to buy a lovely pendant and we got our liquor limit.

St. Maarten is beautiful. We took the water taxi over to the beach and spent the day just basking in the sun. The water was beautiful and we could have just stayed there forever.

The Ice show, "Ice Dancin" was good, however I was not as impressed with this show as much as the others that I have seen on the Mariner or the Explorer. The skaters were good, but the show lacked luster. I still have to give them all credit for skating in such a small space, that is really something. The second production show, "All Access", was just ok, also, I didn't get the whole idea of it, too much contemporary music I couldn't relate to. It was a total opposite to the first show which was excellent. We also had a performer, Gary Mule Deer, who I had never heard of, but he actually was quite entertaining, kind of a Johnny Cash.

In Nassau we went over to Paradise Island and did the tour and saw the Aquarium, it is quite something to see. The hotel is beautiful and one day we might take a trip and stay awhile.

Some other activities not to miss are the Love and Marriage game show, it is too funny for words, I can't believe people say the things they do! The quest is another game you can't miss. We went to the champagne Art Auction and saw some excellent art,and drank free champagne, watched Karaoke and did the dancing under the stars. We loved going to the Xtapa Lounge and dancing to the band "Rock the Boat", they were very good. We went to the Parades and they were very nice, great costumes. We learned how to make "towel animals" they put in your cabin. Another thing to do, is to go to the scrapbooking workshops. They give you some nice cut outs to add to your pages if you scrapbook. We had every intention of going to the gym, it looked great, a lot of nice machines and a whirlpool, but we somehow never made it there.

Our last day on the ship was, as usual when leaving a ship, kind of sad. You know it's over, got to pack and think about getting up early to make room for the next group of passengers. We tried to forget that fact and went to the farewell show. It was REALLY good, two excellent acts, the performer, Jennifer Drabik from the welcome aboard show did a hoop act that was incredible, and then a comedian/magic act Chad Chesmark. Royal Caribbean also offers a a cruise in review video, which we bought to re-live our cruise.

I would recommend this ship to anyone, there is so much to do, or if you want, just lay back and enjoy the voyage. We didn't bring our kids but we saw so many of them having a great time at different times on the ship. I understand they have a fabulous children's program. I can't wait to cruise again.

Publication Date: 10/06/06