“Norwegian Star - Alaska”
Cruise review of Norwegian Star

DUANE HOUCK Norwegian Star 5 Norwegian Star - Alaska
DUANE HOUCK
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was our first cruise and we traveled with two other couples, one with children, who were experienced cruisers. We truly enjoyed the entire cruise and had no complaints with the ship, crew or food. We tried at least one excursion at each port and found them to be reasonably priced and the tour guides were uniformly outstanding. At Skagway we took the Ghosts and Good time Girls walking tour and found it to be very enjoyable with a terrific guide.

Could it have been better? I believe everyone would enjoy the casino much more if they reduced the noise level from the slots and totally banned smoking. I like to gamble but I can only tolerate the smog for an hour or so and then I have to leave. Give all the smokers a free nicotine patch or something but don't poison all the rest of us! There are too many ships hitting the small towns on the lower part of Alaska at the same time. Both Juneau and Ketchikan were cruiser zoos where the self propelled wallets were crammed into tiny towns unable to cope with the throngs. Two ships at a time should be the maximum for any of these ports. I would love to go to Alaska in the winter on a cruise and see the state in the more normal snow state but I understand that 22 hours of darkness is depressing for a lot of people. I felt the stop in Victoria BC was a complete waste of time as we arrive too late to really see anything worthwhile in the town.

The restaurants were uniformly good but I felt that Aqua was superior to Versailles. It was less crowded and had better service as a result. All the surcharge restaurants were good but not really worth the extra cost in my opinion. Our stateroom was on deck four and as a result we noticed very little ship motion. I would not recommend travelers go above deck 8 if they are at all prone to seasickness as the roll becomes more noticeable the higher in the ship you go. A porthole or balcony is not worth the extra cost as there is not that much to see other than open ocean for much of the trip. I would recommend an inside room on this route. Cruise ships are definitely no handicapped friendly and I felt a vegetarian had very poor choices of food at any but the Japanese restaurants

Overall we enjoyed the trip greatly and felt suitably spoiled. Good value for the money but my opinion might be influenced by the fact I did win in the casino all three nights I played despite the fog of cigarette smoke. We will probably try this line for a Mexican cruise as well.

Norwegian Star Cruises to Alaska

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Star Review
Norwegian Star Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?