Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Travelpro

13-15 4.0
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean

I just came back from a not so nice experience. My first trip with Carnival, I have been in RCCL and Celebrity. We waited approx 3.5 hrs to get on board at the Port of Ft. Lauderdale, very disorganized, no wheelchairs available for the 2 grandmas in my group of 13 people.

The cabin was spacious, however the carpet throughout the 2nd floor had water stains all over and it smelled like mildew.

The Paris restaurant was ok. Extremely noisy and loud. I got table 521 near the water and soda station, glasses and silverware were falling all the time, dishes... I just wanted to eat. We felt like we were at a diner. The 24 hrs Pizza and grill was fine. However the Gala Show with the Ice sculptures was HORRIBLE. It was not the show I have had with RCCL and Celebrity. The Breakfast at the SOBE Rest/buffet and lunches were not impressive.

Our cabin steward was fine but most of the crew have a difficult time understanding English. Our head Waiter was ok, just doing his job. They placed the napkin on my lap the first night, after that they forgot.

Carnival has a problem enforcing the rules on the ship. Smokers were at the non-smoking section, and even I complained a few times to the crew. The guy at the pool never mentioned that one side was the smoking area and the other non-smoking. Kids were running at 700 am and after midnight through the hallways and my parents, my friends and myself also complained. WE never heard any "reminder to the passengers".

The teen camp was a fiasco. My 12y/o daughter who I thought was going to be with the 10-12 y/o was sent to the 12-15 y/o group (they change the age group) and she was able to sign herself in and out of camp at any time. 16 and over is the age for the CLub, meaning you are dancing with a bunch of kids.

The wine tasting experience was very disappointing. A wine tasting should educate. It's not about selling you the glass of wine.

In general, I would not go back to the Triumph and probably not any other Carnival ship either. The rock singers were ok but extremely loud. The Spa treatment I got, was more of a sales push than a relaxing experience. The girls are in a rush and they sell, sell, sell. The fitness classes were very limited and the pilates and yoga had a $10.00 fee per class. The whirlpool yesterday smelled like rotten eggs and it was not hot enough. The only thing I really enjoyed was the shows. The magic show was great and the musical shows were fantastic. Hygiene was not at its best around the ship. The pics were horrible. They take your pics at the port of calls with other peoples heads and backs included. Well, I can go on more but I think I'll stop.

Publication Date: 08/11/04