Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by sme

7-9 5+
        16+ 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean
My wife and I took this same cruise in 12/04 and thought it would be a good one to take the kids (16 yr old girl, 8 yrd old boy) on. They were not disappointed. We flew in the day before and stayed in Miami. Seeing the ships from our window when we woke up was a great feeling. The kids could hardly wait to get ot the pier.

Embarkation - easy and smooth. We go to the pier around 1030-1100 and were on the ship by noon. After getting some lunch we took the kids around and showed them the ship. They were in awe of the size. Our bags were not delivered to our room until after dinner. We should have packed our swimsuits with our carryons. Oh well.

Ship activities - The one thing we were disappointed with was the show. Unfortunately, they were virtually identical as the shows we saw in 12/04. I would have thought they updated them more often than that. The 2 people they had singing we not impressive. Actually, the man singing was great. The female singer (a dancer normally) lip synced and wasn't very good at it.

My son loved the slide, and he and I spent most of the afternoons on it. He didn't like the saltwater so he didnt spend much time in the pools. The slide is saltwater too, but the was OK for him.

Camp Carnival - My son loved it!!! He looked forward to going every time he could. The counsellors all knew our names and his after the first night. I would recommend these activities to anyone.

Club O2 - My daughter loved it!!! She went every night and hung out with a couple of girls the whole week.

Service - We saw our room steward a few times and he didn't seem real friendly. He took care of room OK, for the most part. In past cruises, this was done better. Our dining waiter and assistant tried hard, but you could tell there were relatively new. They made each night special for my son and were shocked when he ordered off the regular menu. We helped him with what he wanted and when they came by he ordered all by himself.

Ports - We had a great time at all the ports. At Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and had a lot of fun there. Wife and Daughter got Henna tatoos and my son and I hung out in the water most of the time. Our lunch there was great.

Cayman Islands were a bit disappointing. We went to the Sting Rays with Soto Tours. The tour itself was fine, but with the hurricanes last year there doesn't appear to be as many sting rays as the past. The snorkling was fun, but since we were all inexperienced, it probably wasn't a nice as it could have been.

Jamaica - We did the falls and tubing with Phil Lafayette. This was great. My son and I climbed the falls, but he got scared and ended up being lifted out about half way up. The rushing water is cold and loud and I think that did him in. The tubing was a riot and by far the highlight of all our excusions.

Dining - The breakfast buffet was OK. Trying to feed that many people probably presents its own difficulties. After the first couple of days we ate in the Dining room and that was much better. Dinners were always good and enjoyable.

Publication Date: 10/05/06