Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Amyw

Member Name: Amyw
Cruise Date: September 2006
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        7-9 1.0
        10-12 1.0
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean

My overall review would be good (4 out of 5). This is my second cruise, and found many differences (both good and bad) on this cruise.

The breakfast choices from room service, the Windjammer and the Edelweiss was just plain awful. The eggs were runny, the bacon was extremely greasy and the pastries tasted as though they had just been defrosted and tossed on platter. I didn't enjoy breakfast at all on this ship, same menu everyday and bland, bland food. They certainly do not know how to make french toast, gravy or eggs. (Pack a pop tart - you'll do better).

Problem number 2, even though this ship was probably twice the size of the Celebration I sailed on the first time, this ship was movin' and groovin' making me, someone who doesn't get seasick, seasick (thank God for Mom's motion sickness pills). I was pretty sick the first 2 days; there was a lot of movement, take heed.

Deck 3 should have been called the "Raw Sewage Deck" the reason is because the entire hallway (3807, 3809, 3811, etc) smelled of raw sewage. It got a tiny bit better as the cruise went on, but it came back throughout the cruise. My mother's stateroom smelled like it for 3 days and my bathroom smelled like it the entire trip.

The rooms were very small, but well appointed, our mini-fridges weren't there when we got there (I had ordered a month ago) but were there within 30 mins of our call. The movies and TV selections were actually pretty good. The only toiletries they offer are mini soaps and shampoo (no telling which brand); my suggestion, bring your own. Typically the bathroom is so small you have to go outside to change your mind, but it's good for a quick shower. There was more than enough storage in these tiny rooms and I never really felt cramped. I slept so well on this cruise.

The inside staterooms are pitch black, can't even see your hand in front of your face. I turned the a/c all the way to cold, turned on my fan for white noise and boy howdy, I slept like a baby on NyQuil. The stateroom attendant was thorough and creative and our room was always clean with fresh towels and turndown service. They deserve every penny of that gratuity, they work very hard.

As for the dining room, the Edelweiss, excellent food choices and artistically prepared. You must try the Scallop Risotto! One thing I got from reading these reviews is that you can order more than one entree or appetizer, which our family did, we all liked to try new things. Ok, Ok, on lobster night we each ordered 2 tails.

My son, 13, didn't take part of Adventure Ocean, so I cannot comment on that program.

I did not disembark at any of the ports of call (Ocho Rios Jamaica, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico) because I hate being hot and wanted to rest and relax, which I did a lot of. I took a nap everyday and it felt good, so I can't comment on the ports of call.

I really enjoyed the card room and would have loved the library if it didn't smell like stale smoke (gag). I'm sorry but I think there should only be one smoking area on the boat, at the stern OUTSIDE ONLY. I

couldn't enjoy the Schooner Bar name that tune because all the drunks were blazing up creating that disgusting smoke haze nor could I really enjoy the casino for the same reason.

I'll be glad when I can find a cruise that is truly non-smoking so us asthma sufferers can enjoy all the ship has to offer without being subjected to someone else's addiction.

Speaking of, perhaps it's the tropical climate that brings out the total morons on ships, just watch out because there's a totally drunk person at every turn on these ships. I witnessed several "falling down drunk people." The food in the Windjammer could be compared to The Golden Corral on a bad day, lack of spice, lack of imagination, lack of flavor, just quantity, no quality, even in their desserts.

The ship itself is laid out quite nicely with nooks and crannies and lots of public space.

I didn't attend any of the Broadway Melody shows, just not my thing. I had super fun with trivia, bingo, name that tune and pictionary.

The lifts shake, but seem safe and are glass, so you see the Centrum and it's an incredible view whilst traveling in them.

The pool was extremely small for a ship of this size. They have an adult only pool and hot tubs, but who wants to be separated from their child if they want to swim together. There was no slide (like on Carnival), very small and way too crowded.

The drinks were reasonably priced (cherry Coke for me). I wouldn't suggest buying the drink card, because you can bring your own on board.

Be sure to carry important papers, medicines and a change of clothes in your carry ons, because some people didn't get their luggage until late Sunday night.

Park in the EZ Cruise Parking on Santa Fe (do a Google search), very easy and close and cheap! $50 for 7 day cruise.

Overall I would say this was a great cruise, just be sure to pack your sunscreen and hat (even if you normally tan). Have fun!

Publication Date: 10/05/06