Seabourn Legend Cruise Review by CruiserDan

Cruise Date: November 2003
Embarkation: Tenerife
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: A3
See More About: Seabourn Legend Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Legend Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Legend Deck Plans
Seabourn Legend - Hawaii
Seabourn Legend, Transatlantic Crossing 2003 By CruiserDan

The Ship

Having Cruised Seabourn Legend in February, I was pleased to see that the carpet had been replaced and CD players had been installed in the suites. The ship sparkled! The crew diligently worked hard to keep the ship looking its best at all times.

The Staff

What can I say? The staff and crew on Seabourn are some of the very best at sea. They go out of their way to make sure the guest is always happy and satisfied, and strive to call you by name at all times. Please notice I used the word "guest", not "passenger". On the Legend, you feel like you belong to the Seabourn "family". This is an edge that Seabourn has enjoyed over its competition. You cannot put a value on the "feeling" that Seabourn is able to convey to their guests.

The entertainment staff, including Dan Hodge (Cruise Director), Helen and Amanda (Assistant Cruise Directors) are some of the best at sea. They compliment each other, whether performing, hosting trivia, golf etc., or mingling with the guests. The other musicians were excellent. The only weak link, in my opinion, was Leonard, the Club piano player/singer. He wasn't able to play several standard requests, and his voice was a bit weak. He also didn't interact with the guests very much. Bruce Tilden (previous piano entertainer) was missed.

The crew was as professional as always. Captain Gier- Arne Thue Nilsen is always a pleasure to sail with. He is very approachable, and has a tremendous sense of humor. The Hotel Manager Guenter Steinbrunner seemed to have the ships guests as the top of his priority list. He can be described as professional, approachable and very capable of his varied duties. The Maitre D'Hotel, Gerald Hauswirth, did need some improvement on his communication skills. The first night, we arrived at dinner with our traveling companions, a party of 6, and were asked if we had reservations. We were told we must have reservations for a party of 5 or more. This was a first on Seabourn. Later in the cruise, he explained that he wanted only to make sure a table would be ready for a large party. I understood, and we agreed that there was a misunderstanding at the offset. All is good.

The Dining Room and Verandah Experience

The Verandah for breakfast and lunch was always a pleasure. The waitstaff, especially Allison, Leon, Curtis, Robert and Lucca, were the best. They aimed to please. The food in the Verandah was always hot and excellent. I can't say enough for Seabourn's offering of soup during lunch. Fantastic! Wine flows flawlessly. I did not experience the Dining room for breakfast. Only at the Galley tour did I experience the Dining room for lunch. At dinner, during the beginning of the cruise, the service was a bit slow and spotty. This problem seemed to iron itself out as the cruise continued. The food however, was usually excellent. The only constructive criticism I might have would be that the food was too salty. This was a sentiment many guests conveyed. I find European chefs tend to over-salt. Wine was excellent, and other than our initial experience with our party of 6, tables were ready for us when we arrived.

Cabin Service and Suite

Our cabin Stewardess, Jenny, was lovely. (I think "lovely" is a pre-requisite to working as a stewardess on Seabourn) She did a beautiful, thorough job. In the past, our suite was always made up during breakfast. On this cruise, sometimes we would wait until almost noon. Not a big deal, only different from past cruises. The suite was the standard Seabourn suite, with amenities like a stocked mini-bar/refrigerator, CD player with a complimentary Seabourn CD, offering a collection of jazz tunes, and a variety of soaps and bath items. Always a pleasure to sail in a Seabourn suite. Our friends enjoyed one of the Owners suites. It was beautifully appointed with a separate bedroom, dining area, living room and deck. We took advantage of their suite, and hosted an entertaining party on the first formal night.

Special Events

The evening under the stars was magnificent. The food was excellent, and the service was exquisite. By that time, we had made so many friends, the waiters put 6 tables together on the upper deck, and we all socialized and watched the show below. It was something to remember. The Galley tour was disappointing. By the time trivia was over, the food seemed to be picked over, and the servers in the galley were sparse. Some of our favorites were not offered. (Fondue especially). Not as eventful as cruises past. Dan Hodge hosted the well-attended putting contests by the Sky Bar. The staff and crew had a tug-of-war on deck (fun). Trivia, by far, was the most fun on board. It seemed half the ship participated. We all took it a bit too seriously, which made the competition fierce. Everyone "won" a prize the last day. By far the best trivia competition ever, on Seabourn.

The Spa, Gym and Boutique

Although I did not use the Spa services, several friends indicated that they were pleased with most of the offerings. I used the sauna and steam room, which were adequate for a small ship. The gym boasted several new weight machines. I work out on a very regular basis, and was glad to see the upgraded gym equipment. The boutique had a very limited selection of offerings. Gone were casual t-shirts with the Seabourn logo. Very missed. A friend and I both decided on a crystal statue, only to find out that only 1 was available. I understand that the boutique is being run by a new concession to please more people. If that is the case, the stock must be available on board, throughout the cruise.

The Passengers

Every cruise is different. The cruiseline can do everything in their power to make the cruise special, but in the end, the mix of passengers can make or break the cruise. This cruise had such a magical mix of people. It felt like so many of us were on a family reunion. This being my 3rd transatlantic cruise, it was so nice to see so many friends on board. There was so much comradery. Finding an interesting person(s) to talk to was never a problem. I brought books to read, and never even cracked them open. I can only wish that every cruise in the future have such great people aboard.

Finally

This cruise was truly a magical one. Old and new friends, great staff and crew, and truly outstanding memories. I have never had a bad Seabourn cruise. (This being my eighth) This cruise, however, was right up there at the top. I hope you enjoyed my opinion of the Seabourn Legend Transatlantic Crossing 2003.

CruiserDan