Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Roger

Cruise Date: August 2006
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: IF
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Norwegian Sun - Alaska
Norwegian Sun Aug 12-19

The following report is considered opinionated and not designed to criticize any cruise industry. To start, as a word of advise, do not attempt to fly from the East coast to the West coast in one day as I did, however I was very lucky to make the final boarding call at 3:30 P.M. Pacific time. First "do to security reason, just about every flight in the air was not on time or delayed or even cancelled. I considered myself lucky because I talked to one passenger whom advised me that their flight was cancelled completely. They had know idea how they were going to get back to their home when the ship returned on the 19th. My flight started with a bang, a delay of 45 minutes out of Washington D.C. Now I panic! what am I going to do if I miss the connection at Dallas Ft. Worth. I arrive 15 minutes before next flight to Seattle. I made the flight and arrived approximately 2:45 p.m. How about my luggage! Hats off to American Airline, they did it in Dallas FT Worth in 15 minutes. Arriving in Seattle, although scary at times, the Shuttle Service did a great job of getting me to the Sun, dodging pedestrians, walking across the street in front of you and delivering other passengers to their motels

I began to think Id miss the ship. ($35.00 for 4 each way) I made it to the Ship at 3:30 P.M (Boarding complete 4:00) While on board I opted to eat at the Garden Cafe first. This was a mistake. The food was cold and it was mediocre. I read other critics and I believe very few said any thing negative about the garden cafe. I had to find out for my self. compared to Carnival's Buffet, I believe Carnival is one up. The Seven Seas and the Four Season's are your better choices. I thought that Carnival has more on their Menu and their staff are more friendly. I have no complaints about the Seven Seas Staff. In the entertain area, I felt both NCL and Carnival had exceptional entertainment. The sights of Alaska is overwhelming and over shadows any weakness that the Sun has. The first Port of Call is Ketchikan which in my opinion is a shopper Port. In Juneau, I opted the Whale Watching and Wild Life Discovery at $480 for 4 people. I felt this tour was nice, but not worth $480. Considering later that night the Captain said be on deck between 7:00 and 7:30 P.M tonight you will see Whales. The inside Passage near the Glaciers is by far the high lights of the scenic trip. High Mountain Peaks, light greenish water and pieces of ice broken off from the Glaciers, passing the Ship. Skagway is one of my favorite Places, miles of hiking trails for amateurs or advanced. Prince Rupert although raining, was the most disappointing Port. NCL should reconsider this Port.

Disembarkation was great because I opted to carry my luggage off the Ship. I was off the Ship at around 8:15 A.M. I would cruise again with NCL but my Main concern is not with NCL but with Passengers. They were rude butting in line at dinner and at disembarkation. I never seen this as much at Carnival, even though Carnival is noted for having younger children on board.

Publication Date: 09/30/06