Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Joe

Member Name: Joe
Cruise Date: August 2006
Embarkation: Baltimore
Cabin Category: m
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Grandeur of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Baltimore has to be the easiest port we have ever used. We did not ever sit down. When we arrived with our set sail pass. (By the way, the car parking is real close to the main terminal.) We were sent straight to the ship after our papers were checked and issued a pass to board.

I read where the beds needed new mattresses. They really do. Ask for the eggcart for your bed before you board (online). My first night of sleep was awful. I look like a hotdog with a bun wrap around me. But to my surprise, I did get a new mattress the next day. Marvin my cabin stewart took care of it, also replaced burned out light. The ship is showing signs of wear.  It was clean and the crew did a good job at keeping it that way.

The food was good. But not great. When I read this, I didn't understand it. Now after being on the Grandeur I understand what former passengers were talking about. The service was very good. The Windjammer is too small for that many people. The captain (who is excellent) told us that it was going to change in dry dock next year. (So, they are aware of this problem.)

The entertainment, some good some not so good. To many comedians. Mozac was better then good. If you ever get a chance to see them make sure you do. Music in the clubs just fair. (Compared to other cruises.)

The ports of call. Too many in Florida. You can do without Miami. Key West a great port (but need more time there) but leaving at 3PM is way to early. Cozumel very enjoyable. Costa Maya, great beaches and very nice people. Port Carnavel just so so.

The ship overall is kept clean. The workers work very hard always cleaning or painting. (Everyday and night.)

We chose self assist on leaving. Which when you drive I think is the way to go. If you are not paying attention when the ship comes into dock you can miss this. There is no announcement. We were lucky, but it was like everyone tried to get to the elevators to get to the second floor.

Overall, this was a great cruise for the money. I never do the same cruise twice. I would leave from Baltimore and take the Grandeur again. I believe the Grandeur is going to be stretched in April. I did sail on its sister ship the Enchantment of the Seas after it was stretched. I would look forward to taking the Grandeur after this dry dock.

Publication Date: 09/29/06