Carnival Valor Cruise Review by AML

Cruise Date: August 2006
Cabin Category: 6A
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
I just recently came back from a Western Caribbean trip on this ship and I must say I was not impressed.

Ship: Overall, I loved the ship it had 4 pools, 6 hot tubs, a very nice gym and spa. The dining room dEcor was cheesy but its a cruise ship I wouldnt expect anything else.

Embarkation: We arrived to the port at noon and breezed on to the ship.

Public Rooms: The restrooms were clean daily and were accessible from the different levels.

Cabin: We were three in one ocean view cabin and I was very excited to see that there were no bunk beds and we fit very comfortably in the room. My only complaint about the room is that the air conditioner was never powerful; the room was very humid and only chilled the room at like 4am.

Dining: I was very impressed with the different options of food on this ship. Rosies buffet always had some fun stuff and the sandwich shop made sandwiches to die for. We opted one night to eat at the Scarletts supper club (steakhouse) which was $30 per person and was so worth it. The food at Scarletts was amazing, the surf and turf was delicious and the service was great. The sushi bar was also nice option for a snack but I wasnt really impressed by their choices of entrees.

Entertainment: I was very surprised that they didnt have more fun activities going on during the day like other carnival ships. They had the hairy chest contest and survivor and bingo at night which was bad for us because we had a late seating. The club played very old music and was not crowded at all I personally think the music in the teen club was better than the adult club. The buffet party on the Lido deck was very fun and entertaining they did a great job of getting everyone on the ship dancing. The play far from away was hysterical, I felt like I was watching a high school production of American idols songs. I definitely recommend this for anyone that needs to get a good chuckle.

Service: The service on this ship was absolutely horrible, I am not sure if has anything to do with gratuities being put automatically on your cruise. Our headwaiter was not accommodating at all, it was his last week on the ship and he did not care about any of our needs or requests. Whenever we would ask him for something out of ordinary (i.e. chicken without sauce) he would say oh we cant do that. Now I have been on plenty of ships to know that they can alter a dish to accommodate a passengers needs. Our room steward was very rude and did not do a good job of cleaning our cabin, we left a towel at the pool one day and he refused to give us another towel for like two days. The staff at the shops was also rude and thought they were above all the passengers. I was shocked to see that the only nice people on the ship were the casino dealers. We went ahead and purchased the soda card for the whole week which was great deal but since the bar staff doesnt get a tip off them they were not fast on delivering soda when it was ordered.

Overall, I would not recommend this ship because you will very disappointed with the service.

Publication Date: 09/28/06