Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by szdiver: Jewel of the Seas - Bermuda

Jewel of the Seas - Bermuda

Sail Date: October 2005
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

Well, I will start with Friday, when we arrived in Boston. We got to our hotel (Marriott Longwharf) about 1PM or so and met up with Susan & Les (cruise critic friends) who lived in the area and offered to take us around Boston. Cool! We walked about 6 miles around the north section and it was really a delight to meet them and to see some of Boston with people who knew where they were going. Thanks Les & Susan. After checking in with daughter at hotel, the 4 of us drove over to Avon to meet up with several other cc people at the house of Jud & Terry, who generously had a party for all of us. They have a beautiful house and are very gracious hosts. Thank you Jud & Terry for opening up your house to a bunch of crazy strangers.

OK - Day 1: We arrived at the port after a $30 cab ride. Check in was almost instantaneous. The free rum swizzlers were good, though. After stumbling to our room, we opened the door, as people were ringing the door bell constantly, wanting More to see the place. The Royal Suite is quite a place. Dinner the first night was casual and we received our luggage very early, so we were unpacked by about 5PM. The show was good that night, and we checked out the casino for a little bit, but went to bed early after a hectic day. (yeah, cruising is hectic, right?) He He

Day 2: Sunday, we started out at church, went to the dining room for breakfast, and then waited till the meet and mingle. There were about 25 or 30 people there, and it was nice to put faces to names....the rest of the day we just wandered around the ship, checking out everything. Dinner that night was formal (captain's reception) and everyone looked great. It got to be a habit for a lot of us to meet at the concierge room for free drinks. Rita & Bill, Jim & Marion, and ourselves. There is no way I pass up free rum...Mpou (pronounced M'Paul) was a great person for that job and tended to everyone very well.

Day 3: Monday was Bermuda and we went shopping for the early part of the day. We had snuba and a Bermuda Triangle cruise booked, but they were both canceled because of the weather. Alpha had tagged onto Wilma and decided to visit us in Bermuda. I got some great footage. We stayed in Bermuda till around 3PM instead of going at 7AM as planned. Dinner that night was resort casual.

Day 4. Tuesday, we decided to meet in our room for the exchange of regional gifts, and had so much wine, we could not drink it all that day. More later. I got a book that teaches me how to talk Bawstonese. Another casual night for dinner.

Day 5: Started out with breakfast in our room. Nice touch. St. Maarten, we shopped till Dave dropped. Cassie & I, as well as a few others in our group, got sparkling souvenirs. Nice job guys! That night was formal as well. Of course, the casino was visited daily. We had a violinist, I think. We did not make that one.

Day 6: Thursday. San Juan was not really enough time to do much. Just shopped. Dave & I walked all around the port area and up the hill to the fort and back down around the bay. Beautiful place and great pictures. Casual dinner that night and a production number which I did not really care for.

Day 7: Labadee: Went early to the beach, as it was a short day. There was a lot of beautiful sun and sand, and we had a great time snorkeling and looking at all the beautiful fish and coral. There wasn't time for a bbq, so we were provided with sandwiches, etc. Not too bad. At least we had our coco-locos....Back to the ship and another casual dinner. The Temptations were on that night.

Day 8: Another sea day. Did not do a lot, just relaxed on the balcony with a bottle of wine and cheese plate.

Day 9: Another sea day - had lunch with Les, Susan, Jud & Terry in our cabin. I am really going to miss these guys. They did surprise us with another formal night. Love to dress up...This was Halloween, so of course, there was a lot of costumes and parties and prizes. Day 10: At sea and going towards Boston - darn. We were delighted to have lunch with the gang again and finished up whatever wine we had left. After, everyone spent the last day around the ship. That night of course was casual and they had a pianist and juggler show, as well as presenting the crew. Boo Hoo.

Disembarkation went smoothly, and we were at the airport for our 1PM flight around 9:30 AM. Got home around 4PM and wished we were back on the ship. This morning, I looked for my breakfast in my room, and Dave said it was still on the ship. Wouldn't you know it?

Anyway, we met a lot of wonderful friends and will miss you all. The crew was terrific.

Overall, we had a great time and met a lot of very nice people from Cruise Critic. Thanks for all the fun times and everything. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>