Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by singlemom

Cabin Category: 6B
        16+ 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

Getting to Galveston- I booked this vacation five months in advance so my teens (15 & 17) were bursting with excitement when the day finally arrived. We flew into IAH the night before so we wouldnt have any mishaps and miss the ship. We didnt book thru Carnival because we found better rates. I suggest you fly into Hobby and get a taxi. I rented a car from Thrifty $14.

We stayed at the Drury Hotel. I always stay there because of its low price and great service, 3 free alcoholic beverages per adult, soda , snacks, and a full breakfast. The next morning we went back to the airport to catch the transfer to the ship.

Embarkation- Took about an hour because all of the transfers showed up at the same time. After waiting in the long lines to get on the ship, They did not have our sail and sign cards ready and we had to immediately stand in another 30 minute line at the pursers desk to get our room. Once finally in our room I gave my kids their check-in times and curfew and I hardly saw them, except for mandatory dinner at which I made them dress.

Stateroom-The rooms were small for three "adults". So I assigned a closet and a place to put the dirty clothes which made it a little more organized. I suggest you bring a power strip. We all had something to plug in and only one outlet in the entire room.

Activities and Entertainment- There were activities for couples, but not much for singles. One out of three guests on the boat were under 18. My kids stayed in Club O2. I dont know what they did in there because every time I tried to get a peek my kids would escort me out saying its for 14 to 17 years old ONLY. They made several friends and the last night about 25 kids decided to stay up all night to watch the ship pull into port. I was happily surprised that the kids for the most part were well behaved. They had tearful goodbyes. There were plenty of activities for couples, but not much for singles. I stayed bored and paced the ship a hundred times. Bingo was a waste. $20 for one game. Drinks were $8 a glass so I stayed dry. The disco was usually empty. I enjoyed the tea time in Alfred's.

Service- My room steward flirted constantly and made me very uncomfortable. I felt I had to report it. It felt pointless to ask the staff anything because they didnt understand very much English outside of their programmed responses to frequently asked questions.

Shore Excursions- I debated a long time about buying my tickets prior to sailing and decided not to. That was a great decision. After getting to the ship we changed our minds twice.

Jamaica- We chose the Catamaran Snorkel & Doctor's Cave Beach. The kids did not like the idea of jumping off the side of the boat and did not see a lot of fish when they did. The beach was beautiful but you have to rent a chair and umbrella if you wanted to sit. The locals bothered you constantly for you to spend money. Just say No

Grand Cayman- We took the Grand Cayman Island Tour. It was a nice relaxing day and the free rum tasting and rum cakes were good.

Cozumel Here we chose the Adventure Park, Zip Line & Snorkel Combo. This was terrific! It was an adrenaline rush. The guide kept us busy and the time flew by. The snorkeling there was great because we swam out from the beach. The reef and fish were beautiful.

Dining- There was plenty of food everywhere. Dinner in the restaurant was entertaining. We sampled different foods every night (some we even ate) The maitre d' sang and the waiters danced for us.

Disembarkation  OH MY GOD-. They advertised the self assist. During the briefing we were told we should be off the boat by 11. We opted to leave our bags outside the room the night before. We were kicked out of the room at 830. We had to sit and wait with no entertainment, and no food. Scavengers found the drink machine and ice cream machine still worked. They blamed the delay on those who did self assist. They said that normally 600 people do it, but this time they had 2000. We docked early but still didnt start letting people off until 9 at 1130. No one was smiling and everyone was annoyed. Finally all the self assist people were off the boat and then they called floor colors. The colors went by quickly and we were all off the boat by 1230. BUT WAIT! We were only in the terminal. It took us another 90 minutes to get on the shuttle back to the airport. The shuttle stopped at Hobby (They told us they didnt have that service any longer). Everyone who had a flight before 4pm missed their flight.

Summary Our final bill to include Excursions,drinks,video games,& on-board shopping was $1270. Before buying this cruise consider something else.

Publication Date: 09/22/06