Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Bruce W: Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

Bruce W
0 Post

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: June 2006
Embarkation: Galveston

My wife, myself, our son and his wife and my sister recently returned from our June 25 - July 2 cruise on the Carnival Conquest. This was the 2rd cruise in 2 years for myself and my wife. Our first cruise was the Ecstasy which wetted my appetite for a ship with a balcony room.

We drove from San Antonio to Houston on Saturday and spent the night with relatives, this saved us hotel expense and made it more comfortable than trying to rush on Sunday. We picked up my sister from Ohio at the San Antonio airport before leaving Saturday making it a little rough on her (my job as a big brother). The port is easy to find if your paying attention and not listening to a CD with red neck jokes on it. I missed our exit and ran out of road so turned off the CD and retraced our steps to find the exit. We dropped off our luggage at the front of the terminal and everyone got out and waited for a porter while I parked the truck at B parking lot. After parking and riding a bus back to the More terminal we proceeded inside the terminal and began the long line waiting for processing our sign and sail cards and showing passports and birth certificates. We had to pass through another long line for security and then on to our adventure inside the Conquest.

Once on board, we headed for the buffet for a great lunch. After eating we went to our cabin and found it was ready except for a few snacks hidden in one of the bedside cabinets from a previous cruiser. My wife, sister and myself shared a balcony cabin room 6411 aft for the first time and were not disappointed. The cabin had plenty of room and of course the wonderful balcony. The only disappointment in regards to sharing this room was the cabin steward who could not understand three people meant three cups, beach towels, bathroom towels, robe, etc. which made my sister feel like baggage during the entire cruise.

My son and wife were booked just across the hall from us, inside room 6409. The drill for life boats, etc. was uneventful but hot and seemed to take forever. Food was excellent. We ate one meal at the Point which is well worth the extra expense and highly recommend you do this for yourself. We ate at both Lido restaurants and the Monet Dining Room. Dont be afraid to try the deli and the pizzas, they were great. Eat all the meals you can at the Monet, you wont regret it.

During 2 days at sea on the way to our first port of call which is Jamaica, we enjoyed all the usual entertainment. Todd Wittmer who is the Cruise Director was real funny and knows his stuff. He really loves his job and it shows. We loved the newly wed game and the amateur shows the best. We didnt like spending so much money for the bingo cards ($20.00 each) especially since someone always called out bingo after the first four or five calls.

In Jamaica, we went to the downtown square for a little shopping and stayed only 30 minutes. We took a taxi to Sunset Beach Resort which is all inclusive for $40.00 pp and we highly recommend this for anyone. You can snorkel, eat, drink and play till you drop. My only complaint is they require you to leave your sign and sail card with them at the front desk until you leave. My sister (who is always willing to fight over anything she disagrees with) really put up a fuss and we finally agreed to let them keep our drivers licenses instead. Not cool but turned out ok.

In Grand Cayman we had reserved a sail boat for five over the internet. The captain met us at our pre-arranged area and was taken to our destination on the other side of tim buck too. Must have been and hour drive. The sailboat was old but in good shape and since we had paid in advance it was the only show in town. He let loose the sails and away we went stopping at Stingray City and then the barrier reef. Two of us almost drowned because we had no life jackets but God was good and watched over us idiots. I loved every moment of it. The captain did bring snorkel gear which was important for a great experience on the reef.

In Cozumel we booked Xcaret with Carnival, we had gone here before on a cruise and it was a wonderful experience. We were really disappointed because of the amount of time wasted getting there and back. Please do not waste your time and money on Xcaret unless you take the five day cruise. I recommend you shop Cozumel and use this time to rest up and eat good food.

The return trip was the hardest for us because we had waited so long for this fun cruise and now it was almost over. We had our last breakfast in the dining room enjoying the great service and good food for one last time. We left our bags out the night before and when we departed it was much easier not having to worry about the luggage. I recommend you get a porter at the luggage dock. He will stay with you until passing customs and take the luggage outside for you. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>