Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by angelrmt: Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

angelrmt
Member Since 2006

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: July 2006
Embarkation: Galveston

Got to terminal around 11am. There was a very long line but being in a wheelchair shorten the process. Me and my group of 10 went right through the line and were the first to board the ship. We took our own wheelchair and that was a great idea but we had an incident happen upon leaving the ship. Will go over that later on.

The ship was beautiful and very classy but I have nothing to compare it with but I was impressed. The Lido deck was always very slippery because of the guests coming in and out of the swimming pool. I almost slipped once or twice. I was also hesitant to eat there because of this. The cabin was always cleaned. Kind of small but adequate for two of us. The shower was very small and water does fall off of it. I got flooded once and had to clean it up myself as I did not want to bother the cabin steward or housekeeping. It was very cold throughout the ship so do take sweaters. I like to be in a cool place but it was as cold as a doctor's office.

The More food - I did not care for the Lido deck food. Not much of a selection. The food was cold and the desserts were bland. I did enjoy the mango pie. I tried to avoid the Lido deck food. But I do think the hot dogs were great. We went to the Sur Mer and did not care for the food there. It is up to the individual on their likes and dislikes. We went to the pastry booth and I tried the carrot cake. It was dry and not fresh. It ended up on the trash. The eggs scrambled at the Lido deck and Monet dining room tasted like egg beaters and tasted mushy. I will say that the food at the formal dining room was excellent. I enjoyed each meal every day that I was there. Our waiters were excellent. Jose was from Honduras (real cute) and Sasha from Russia. I tipped them very good as they made us feel like royalty. But they do give small portions of the side dishes. The entertainment was great that the waiters gave us each night. They work hard so do give them a tip. They deserve it.

As far as the entertainment it was okay. Some better than others. We did the Magic show, Point and Click show but missed the adult comedy show. We went to the casino and lost a lot of money. we shopped at the gift shop and got good deals. Missed the Legends Show because I had my feet so swelled up I could not wear descent shoes.

The service was great in general. No complaints. Well, the only thing is that I would page the cabin steward and he would come but about two hours later after I paged him.

Excursions - Missed Jamaica port because I was too exhausted waling the day before throughout the ship. The rest of the group went and said Rose Hall Beach resort was okay but not much of a beach scene there. They said the ride there was kind of scary. The driver drove crazy. My 87 year old mother and aunt were asked if they wanted to buy weed. That was funny to me. Enjoyed cayman Island. very clean island and very friendly people but they are very expensive. Bought some rum cakes and cost me 60.00. Stayed there about two hours and went back to the tender boat to avoid long lines and that worked just fine. I enjoyed the tender ride. I thought it was an adventure but I cannot say the same of the Cozumel tender. that was very tiring and did not like the seating in that tender. The attendants were very helpful and treated me with care while boarding on and off the tender.

I enjoyed the cruise but I think that there is room for improvement. I had an incident where mother who is elderly got lost on the ship and the Purser desk did not want to page her. They said that she was an adult and not a child. An 87 year old lady is almost as indefensive as a child in my opinion. Mother and aunt got lost for 3 hours and finally the purser agreed to page her (after hearing me cry on the phone). We found mother but then we requested that an attendant help by pushing me on my wheelchair off the ship and that was hard to get. Finally after waiting for a while someone came and got me off. He was very kind and I even tipped him 20.00. WHile boarding my vehicle the attendant took off with my wheelchair. Now I am out a wheelchair and I called Carnival about the wheelchair and they said it was my responsibility that all luggage and items get off the ship. I take responsibility but they need to take responsibility too. Anyhow, I am still waiting to see what happens with this. Won't go into detail on this.

Overall, this was a nice trip. It can be tiring for someone that is not in the best of health. Next time I cruise it will be with a different cruise line that offers activities to adults. thought I do not dislike being with children, there were too many running around especially the elevators. I even saw some kissing in front of us. Too many people running around the Lido deck. Conquest is fine for families. the night life was dead in my opinion. Henri's Disco was dead most of the time and so was the Karaoke. I did enjoy the band playing at the Vincent's Bar. They were great and the hightlight of the entertainment scene.

Would I cruise Carnival again? Maybe. It also depends on what they will respond to the wheelchair incident. If I do it will be a season when it is not too hot and smaller ship. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>