Westerdam Cruise Review by MillCreek

Cruise Date: June 2006
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: D
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Westerdam - Alaska
Hello,

Nancy (sister), Lan (mother), and Sydney (son) were on board the Westerdam from Seattle Port to Alaska's Inside Passage tour during June 18th thru June 25th.

Complaint about the service:

1. On the Lido deck Nancy and I cleared about 75% of our own table. Lan who is in a wheelchair with Cancer (terminal) never got assistance with the trays.

2. Lady at the gift-shop was defensive when returning a couple of shirts purchased the day before. I had to tell her three times that these were returns when she attempted to ring up the shirts a second time.

3. SITKA TENDER Tickets for shore: We were let on board approximately at 9:00am with out tender tickets. The announcements were hard to hear within the stateroom. We later found out about channel 43 at the end of the cruise on disembarkment meeting. Mark and Chris (shopping specialist) made sly, demeaning remarks indicating that we would be stupid not to know about tender tickets or where to get them. That is was obvious as we were getting onto the gangway for SITKA (not enough wheelchair service on this stop, Ketchikan was much better with wheelchair service.). I appreciate Mark stopping by to apologize and to find out what was going on but Chris denied the remark and did not stop by, so I heard.

4. Front Desk: I asked about early disembarkment procedures and after going over several scenarios Ms. Renckel (very nice service) had entered into computer wheelchair assist so that we could carry our luggage off the ship which was the prerequisite for early departure. A day before disembarkment I went down to the front desk to make sure of the procedure and Ms. Chelmi was helping me (very nice service) and had told me that there would be no wheelchair assist for early disembarkment. I wish Holland Staff would be better trained on procedures. Before we could go into the details of color tags departure, Ms. Hanna pulled her off the conversation to help another couple and another couple before I complained about this being very rude. In which Ms. Chelmi helped me after helping the others. Ms. Hanna should not have pulled her away until customer service was done with an individual. I went into guest relations to complain but no one was there. Ms Hanna did sit me down and talked with me about the procedure afterward but I felt that it was rude to interrupt customer service with a person to help behind in line. It should be in order of the line.

5. I had to call down the front desk three times about being charged for two cans of coke that we did not consume. Each time it was said that it was taken care of that day or the next but each time it wasn't. Ms. Hanna on the final day finally took care of this after I had explained the rudeness of the above 4 items.

6. On the day before disembarkment I tried to relax after a long stressful cruise on Holland due to the customer service. I went down at 9:50pm to watch Failure to Launch (which had already started) at the Queen's Lounge. I went up to the bartender to ask for popcorn, nothing happened, I asked again and he finally pulled away from watching the movie. He came back with the popcorn and placed it on the opposite end of me and proceeded to watch the movie again. So, I had to walk around to the opposite end of the counter to pick up the popcorn instead of just handing it to me. Another attendant was cleaning up the trash and he placed a used glass on the counter but the bartender did not clear the counter. I walked the glass over to him and he gave me a dirty look and said nothing. He finally walked the glass back and at this point I have had it with the service of Holland America and threw the popcorn over the counter when the bartender was in back and turned to the cleaning attendant and said this was wrong. I went back to cabin to cool off and hope for the end of the cruise.

Because of Lan with terminal Cancer, we were hoping that is was going to be a good trip. Chris not apologizing, Ms. Hanna pulling Ms. Chelmi off of customer service when I am trying to get help, and the bartender was the final straw which prompted me to write this email and to follow up at Corporate's headquarters.

I have cruise before with Celebrity Cruise and others and the food on other cruise was better. However, people Cruise to relax and to be pampered with excellent service. It is unfortunate that due to the customer service we stayed in our rooms most of the cruise. Due to the terminal Cancer, we were hoping the this would be Lan going away cruise.

I am very angry with Chris, M. Hanna, and the bartender service. I understand that Ms. Hanna is in guest relations, Chris is in port shopping.

Publication Date: 08/28/06