Carnival Glory Cruise Review by sandybeach

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8c
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

My husband, daughter (17yrs. old), and I sailed with the carnival glory on July 15th which was the western itinerary. We flew in the night before to Orlando international airport and stayed at the Crowne-Plaza near the airport. we booked a private limo service, which picked us up at the hotel at 12:00. the cost was $50.00 round trip. We booked it through the hotel. This worked out well. Our wait at the terminal was about 45 minuted, then we found ourselves on the Lido deck by 1:00. Our rooms were even ready as soon as we boarded.

We were on the Verandah deck (8). Great location! Walking distance to all the action on the pool deck and food. We had a balcony room which was quite comfortable. Our bed was extremely comfy, where my daughter would beg to differ. Her bed was the pull out couch and was quite hard, but she managed to pass out as soon as her head hit the pillow. Our room steward was very attentive. No complaints there. He made the standard towel animals that we so enjoy.

The ship was clean. I did not find it difficult to navigate at all. My daughter had a different experience this time than her previous cruises. Because she was younger before and fit in with the age groups at camp carnival. This time she was pretty much on her own to find her own fun and meet people. Luckily she was out going enough to introduce herself to others that appeared to be in her age group. So all in all she had a good time just a different time than previously. She can"t wait to cruise again as an 18 yr. old on her senior trip.

We thought the food was good. Not fantastic but still I did enjoy every night. It could have been hotter and a little faster, but still was a lovely experience. The desserts were tasty but not memorable. I have to say that the chocolate buffet in the red sail restaurant was impressive. My husband and I both loved the fish and chips located in the red sail restaurant one level up. It was also a nice area for a quiet lunch with a nice nautical feel. The one midnight buffet they had was not worth staying up for I have to say.

Our first day at sea was fun once we found chairs which was quite a feat. they were saved by towels and books with no one to be seen most of the time. I t was really quite annoying. Unfortunately, I played the same game of chair saving the 2nd day at sea because i felt you simply had to to get a decent spot. One of the highlights was the deck party at night. It really was fun if you participated. lots of dancing and shouting. High energy party!

Our first port was Cozumel. We have been there before, so it was sad to see the damage from the hurricane. The vegetation was wiped out. we went to Paradise beach and had a great relaxing day with the $2.00 coronas and the best salsa and guacamole and chips. There really is a big difference from the stuff we get at home. they also had the hair braiding. The whole head for $40.00. The price started at $55.00. but they wanted the sale. It took about 2 hrs. A very enjoyable day.

The next port was Belize. I had booked our own excursion for cave tubing with Yhony at cave-tubing.com. The price was half of what the cruise ship was charging. We had experienced guides and was extremely organized. I felt very safe. They keep you in your small groups on the river always making sure that you don"t bang against the rocks. The cruise ship excursion people were on their own to paddle themselves through the caves. I felt lucky to have discovered cave-tubing.com for this excursion. I learned of them through cruise critic.com on the destination boards.

Next was Costa Maya. We had a blast there. We took a taxi to Majahaul. We got 45 min. massages for $20.00. It felt very professional. If we had time I would have gotten 2. Next time we are there I"m going massage hopping rather than bar hopping. There is a massage tent every 3rd or 4th booth. A storm came in (quite severe) and that's when the party began. There were about 20 carnival cruise passengers crammed into a bar across a little road from the beach. The buckets of coronas were 6 for 10.00. the tequila shots were cheap. when it was time to go the waiter got us taxis that came right up to the bar front and took us to the port. The only disappointment there was that the huge pool at port was not filled. They were working on it. As it turned out we wouldn't have really had the time to enjoy it anyway.

Nassau, I treated as a day at sea. Been there done that. I didn"t want to gamble at the Atlantis because I already lost plenty on the ship. One too many hands of black jack every night. Still had fun though. Entered both black jack tournaments, no luck though, but still fun to watch. Our last day at nassau was also my birthday (one of those milestone types.) I was surprised with my room decorated when i went back to it later in the day and a delicious specially ordered cake for dessert at dinner. There is no better way to spend a birthday than on a cruise.

We had a great time on this cruise. I could do it again.

Publication Date: 08/30/06