Ocean Princess Cruise Review by Laurie: Tahitian Princess - South Pacific

Tahitian Princess - South Pacific

Sail Date: July 2006
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Tahiti (Papeete)

Since this was our first cruise (in celebration of our 25th anniversary) we didn't know what to expect. In reading the reviews it can be difficult to decipher because some people complain about the silliest things. I don't think that I could say enough good things about the Tahitian Princess and her crew. Our every need (voiced or not) was catered to by our cabin steward as well as the restaurant and bar staff. The cruise director and his staff were amazing in that they appeared to know everyone's name on the ship by the third day.

One thing that I was quite surprised about was the movement of the ship during the rough seas. I didn't expect to be able to feel the rocking and rolling of the ocean, but certainly did. There were several passengers that were affected by sea sickness. We feel very fortunate that we weren't. It was quite amusing watching everyone try to walk. The other passengers were good natured about it.

We ate at the buffet almost every morning and More the food was ok. It was typical buffet dining. For a late lunch we would either visit the pizzeria, which was awesome or the poolside grill to get that little something to tide us over until our late dinner. We ate in the dining room on all but two nights. Our server and back waiter were very attentive and pleasant. We had ten great meals in the dining room. It was a fantastic opportunity to experience different cuisine. On our anniversary we were serenaded by the waitstaff and given a personal dessert as well as a congratulatory card from the captain.

Our stateroom was on the lowest passenger floor. We were actually expecting a tiny room. The stateroom we had was much bigger than we expected and was very comfortable. Our steward made sure that it was always tidy and with fresh towels.

We booked only two shore excursions during our cruise as we didn't want to be held hostage to a tight schedule while on vacation. We went to the Tahitian BBQ on Raiatea and the Ring of Fire helicopter tour in Hilo. We would recommend both of these tours. The BBQ was the most personal luau we have ever attended. Touring the active volcanos via helicopter was very exciting. Out of all of the islands that we toured, Christmas Island is one that I could do without. I imagine the only reason for the stopover is to break up four sea days. I would have like to have seen more time in the other ports as we just got a "taste" of the islands.

I would recommend Princess to anyone and when we cruise again we would definitely book with Princess. Spot on...job well done! Less

Read more Ocean Princess cruise reviews >>