Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by pts

Cruise Date: July 2006
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 4g
See More About: Carnival Liberty Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Liberty - Western Mediterranean
Overall our cruise was generally a good experience; this was our 3rd cruise and the first on a Carnival Ship. We had some minor issues that I think anyone would have with a ship this size. We would recommend the cruise with a couple reservations to the recommendations.

The Lido Deck food was disappointing, although it did look like many enjoyed it. Our service in the Golden Olympian Restaurant was just outstanding, and of course the food was all in all very good.

We did have an extremely unsatisfactory experience in Harry's Supper Club on the cruise that has not been resolved as of this writing. We did make 3 attempts, as you will see, aboard ship to resolve our issue with no success, just frustration. We have attempted to contact Carnival 2 times since our return with no response as yet. The following is a brief summary of our experience:

Issues:

- Upon seating, one of my wine glasses had a lip print on it, not a smear, a lip print in pink lipstick. We pointed this out to the wait staff and it was replaced without comment or apology.

- A bug was crawling on fruit during dinner, after we had started to eat the fruit. Sommelier was standing by the table and I reported to her about the bug, she laughed, honestly I don't believe she understood what I was saying. I repeated and pointed to the bug, the Sommelier laughed again. I got the manager to come over and they said they took the bug to the Chef's office and it was under investigation. Further, that they would get back to me on the results of the investigation. I explained to the manager that we expected this to be resolved to our satisfaction, after all this was supposed to be a special dinner that we were paying a premium for.

Results:

- Later that evening we returned from socializing with friends to find strawberries from the restaurant dipped in chocolate that had been delivered to our room. The last thing we wanted to see was more fruit from the restaurant. How appetizing it was to see more fruit, when we were ready to go to bed, that had been sitting for hours in a warm room. It was kind of like being that lucky person to order from a fast food restaurant and get the burger that was made yesterday and was baking under a hot lamp until you ordered it. Yes, that will get an appetite going for sure.

- 2 days later, after hearing nothing, I went to the Purser's office and passed on my complaint and requested a status. - The next day we received 2 voice mail messages from the manager of the restaurant that came across flippant and very much upset us. I went directly to the restaurant to talk face to face with the manager. The discussion didn't get me anywhere, I received the same flippant / condescending attitude I received from her before. It was like we were lucky to pay extra to them just to be able to eat there, and oh, by the way, complaints or criticisms are not accepted.

- I was told the food and beverage manager made the decision that nothing would be done and I was not allowed to talk with that person according to her.

- I attempted to go through the Purser's office once again to get in contact with the food and beverage manager, or anyone else that would be above the restaurant manager to discuss the situation. But since this was the last night of the cruise nothing came of it.

This little bit does not paint a total picture of what all happened but the bottom line was we paid a premium for a very poor dining experience and it seems we are unable to discuss with anyone our issues, at least not so far.

A couple other points about Harry's Supper Club you might not be aware of - They stress only formal attire, I was the only one in a tux, one other guy was in a suit and everyone else was very casual - They don't tell you that the $30 per person you pay extra for eating there has an automatic 15% added to it.

As you can tell our big issue with the cruise is the dining experience at Harry's Supper Club, which according to them is the very best restaurant of any cruise liner.

Publication Date: 01/01/00