Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by RWriter

Member Name: RWriter
Cruise Date: July 2006
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Norwegian Sun - Alaska
This was a wonderful vacation.

Let me start off in Seattle. We stayed at the Edgewater, Seattle's only true waterfront hotel (and right next to the Norwegian Pier). Lovely hotel, great food, nice rooms, and we walked both to Pikes Market and to the Pier when it came time to board the ship. Though a bit pricey, I recommend the waterfront rooms at this hotel.

Seattle was gorgeous and I wish I'd had more time there. We flew in a day early and spend that day sightseeing. The weather was warm (low eighties) and the people charming and friendly.

Then the cruise. The embarkment process went smoothly and we found our rooms easily. Our luggage made it within an hour. The room (a balcony room) seemed spacious compared to what I'd been led to expect. Lots of storage space and the balcony was good-sized.

The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew friendly, and mostly the food was good. I do not recommend the buffet - it's like a super-bland Lubys. But the main dining room food was excellent, if the service was bad, it was worth it to taste the food. My husband and I tried all the extra cost restaurants and didn't feel the extra cost was worth it. Pacific Heights (no cost) and the two main dining rooms had food just as good as the Il Adagio and East Meets West and Le Bistro.

Room service (at least for breakfast) left something to be desired. I think it would be worth getting up earlier (if you have excursions) to go eat at one of the custom omelet stations or waffle stations. The buffet scrambled eggs were runny (as mentioned numerous times here.)

There were many bars and I liked that most of the ship was non-smoking.

The fitness facilities were crowded, with older machines. Not as nice as some hotels, but I still got a decent workout.

The Mandara Spa - my husband and I tried the couples massage which is pricey ($238) but was very enjoyable. The only thing I didn't like about it was when it was over the spa staff tried to get us to come back for more expensive treatments with a high pressure sort of pitch. We didn't.

Entertainment was marvelous. I was surprised. The evening shows were very entertaining with an excellent dance troupe and some funny comedy acts (Sharkbait.)

The shopping on the ship was overpriced - except the liquor.

I was disappointed in the casino. It was way too smoky and not ventilated well, so I couldn't even go in there as I'm super allergic to cigarette smoke.

The best part of the cruise was going into Tracey Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Magnificent. We stood outside on our balcony and took pictures.

On excursions, I enjoyed the whale watching with Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises. This was the only one I booked separate from the cruise, and it was the best. We saw a pod of transient Orcas and a Humpbacked whale and baby. The salmon fishing was overpriced and not very well run. The train ride in Skagway was very good and we enjoyed it. Prince Albert, the last stop, was boring and our excursion got cancelled. We thought we'd wander the town and soak up local ambience, but there's nothing there. We went to a pub, browsed a couple of packed souvenir shops, and went back to the ship.

This was my first cruise ever and I totally enjoyed it. The end bill was a bit high because of all the specialty restaurants and bottles of wine with dinner and excursions and massage and... you get the picture.

But I'd definitely do it again. As a matter of fact, I'm looking into a NCL cruise to Hawaii for next year.

Publication Date: 08/09/06