Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Crusin Bird

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Crusin Bird
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Crusin Bird
Cruise Date: June 2006
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Cabin Category: N
        16+ 4.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
I'll start with our personal history, we are a family of four, parents 50 and two fairly grown children a 17 and 20 year old. This was the first cruise for us and didn't have any major expectations. The ship itself is huge, and tastefully decorated. We had inside cabins which were small in size but quite clean. My husband and I didn't have any space issues as the closet held all of our clothes just fine. I would say as a first time cruiser that I was a little surprised by two things, first being that even with the great size of this ship and the most updated and advanced stabilizers we felt quite a bit of the oceans movement and we were informed that our seas were just moderate. Second, we did have a fantastic table team and a pleasant room attendant, however I was a somewhat disappointed by some of the general crew, I felt that if they don't work directly for tips then they may or may not be helpful.

As for our meals, the food in the Windjammer was above average I'd say, with breakfast being the best, plenty to choose from including turkey sausage. We had second seating for dinner 8:30, this worked out well for us giving us time to enjoy the ports of call without having to rush back to the ship for dinner. We ate in the Columbus Room which is lovely and spacious. Most of our dinners were good with plenty of choices for entrees, I will say that our wait staff was most attentive and pleasant and we looked forward to dinner each night, mostly due to them. We hope to cruise again sometime and if so we will try Portofinos the italian restaurant onboard which charges a flat fee and take reservations, we talked to other passengers who said it was superb.

As for the activities, our children being older found plenty to do, dodgeball, volleyball, putt putt and of course the rock wall was a hit. They did have one suggestion, that a meet and greet for the 14 to 17 passengers on the first night would have been helpful in making friends a little fasters.

We only had four port of call on this cruise, St Thomas, St Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee. We did Blackbeard's Hill excursion on St Thomas and left it early to do shopping, time is was quite limited. So for the rest of our stops we opted to explore on our own, this worked best for us as we don't like tight schedules on a vacation.

So as I close this review I do hope it offers you some insight, and I will say that as a family we have been fortunate to travel quite a bit and we are very glad that we added the cruising experience to our list. We would, and may indeed take another cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Publication Date: 07/31/06