Silver Shadow Cruise Review by British Cruiser: Silver Shadow - Alaska

Silver Shadow - Alaska

Sail Date: June 2006
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

With high expectations my wife and I booked a cruise on the much acclaimed Silver Shadow.

Pre cruise -- We stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel in Vancouver which was very pleasant. On June 30th I awoke to see the Silver Shadow dock at Canada place.

Embarkation -- Was very smooth and our bags were in our suite on arrival. The stewardess greeted us and asked what drinks we would like for our bar. These drinks did not arrive for over 24 hours after a call to reception. After examination the suite was filthy, there was more than a few days dust, previous cruiser's pill packets and grey hair everywhere. Another call to reception rectified this.

We had pre booked our tours online and were told that the tickets would be in our suite, not so. At the tour desk they had no record of this and advised me that I had not booked any tours. I then had to prove that I had by going onto the internet and printing the conformation. Only after doing this we were given our More requested tours. Is this six star service?

The ship in general was shabby, over due for a major refirb, ash trays remained dirty for hours if not overnight. There were finger marks on lifts and doors. We have travelled on much cleaner mainline cruise ships.

Although Silversea boasts a high crew passenger ratio this was not evident on our trip. We never got any service at the pool area and waited 15 mins in the bar for service. When the officers made a rare appearance, again not what we had expected.

Food was great, beyond expectations. We managed to get into La Terazza restaurant only once and were waited listed for the rest of the cruise. After speaking to fellow passengers I was told that they had crossed the Maitre d's hand with a couple of hundred dollars when they then managed to eat there for the rest of the cruise!!!!!. The inclusive wine selection was good. On one occasion my wife asked for a glass of Chablis and was told that an American Chardonnay was the same, I don't think so.

Vibes from fellow passengers were that the standards have fallen since their previous Silversea cruises. On the last evening I was horrified to see the crew kicking passengers' luggage down the stairwells.

After awful disembarkation our bags were both damaged, wonder why?.

This cruise was meant to be a dream holiday for my wife and I it was way below what we have experienced on main line cruise ships. We would like to try another 6 star cruise but Silversea will have to improve somewhat. Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>