Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Luv2trvl3kids: Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera

Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera

Sail Date: June 2006
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and I are in our late 30s and have 3 children, ages 15, 10 and 6. We've been traveling with our children (sometimes without) for many years. However, this was our 1st cruise and we absolutely loved it. We are scheduling a cruise to the Caribbean now.

My mother and mother-in-law both traveled with us. My mother-in-law was a little skeptical about the cruise, but by the end she didnt want to leave the ship.

Embarkation- We arrived at the port around 12:30pm and saw a long line of people. We prepared ourselves for a long wait, but to our surprise the line was continuously moving and before we knew it& we were on the ship. Check-in was a breeze.

We had an inside room (thought wed save some $$) and it was better than we had anticipated. The inside room served its purpose: sleep, shower and get ready. However, I will definitely have a balcony room next time. We had to set our phone to wake us up, because there would be no sun peeking in to let More you know it was morning. There were times when I wanted to sit outside and read, and a balcony wouldve been great when I wanted a quiet space.

Days at sea  They were great. My kids loved the pools. You definitely need to save lounge chairs early (7-8am) if you want them, especially around the main pool with the band. My husband participated in the Fear Factor competition one of the days. The little competitions they have by the pool are fun to watch.

We tried to see as many shows as possible. We loved the comedy shows. My favorite show was the ventriloquist. Adults and children both enjoyed the show. My 6-year-old son was picked to go up on stage and he loved it.

Dining  We loved going to the dining room. Our servers Juri and Roberto were wonderful. Juri always gave us his recommendations based on what we might like. We already miss him. The food was great and so was the service.

Kids Club  I kept trying to get my two youngest to go to Kids Club, but they wanted to stay with us. One night they received invitations to attend a Slumber Party. It wasnt a real slumber party; it was a night full of fun activities. My 10-year-old daughter decided to go. It was from 10pm to 3:30am on the second to last night we were on the ship. Well, she absolutely loved it. She was upset when my husband picked her up at 3:20am (she still had 10 minutes). She wished she wouldve attended the club more throughout the trip. Next time& Ports- Puerto Vallarta  This was the only port that we did a shore excursion. We did the Royal Dolphin Adventure. It was a great experience. We all loved the interaction with the dolphins, especially the kids. We were able to go into town after our excursion since the ship wouldnt depart until 10pm.

Mazatlan  We took a tour of the city in a passenger van. Our guide Victor was quite comical. After the tour we went to the beach. The water was a little too warm (approx. 85 degrees). We are from Southern California and are used to cooler water, but it was a fun experience.

Cabo San Lucas  Our favorite port. Absolutely beautiful! We took a glass bottom boat tour which took us around all of the beautiful rocks. The guide then dropped us off at the beach. We did some shopping and then went back to the beach. The water was a lot more refreshing than Mazatlan. I mostly sat under an umbrella, drank margaritas and kept saying No, gracias to all of the walking vendors. The same guide/boat picked us up from the beach and took us back to the docks, which was great.

Summary  We were very pleased with our 1st cruise. We had concerns considering that some people consider Carnival low on the totem pole of cruise lines. It was definitely the Fun Ship. We had a great time and will cruise with Carnival again. Less

Published 07/26/06

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X