Ryndam Cruise Review by kittysptie

Cruise Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Tampa
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: EE
See More About: Ryndam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ryndam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ryndam Deck Plans
Ryndam - Central America/Panama Canal
21 of us took the April 16th sailing on the Ryndam to the Panama Canal. We flew to Tampa the day before the sailing. We had all completed the information requested, Immigration, Credit Card, etc. online so that we could have the express check in. What a joke that was.

When we got to the pier we found that Holland America had changed its computer system. Everything we had done online was lost in the conversion, so there was no Express Check In. There were very long lines and everyone had to start over. It was nothing was chaos. It took us about 2 hours to get checked in.

We then went up to the Lido deck to await our rooms. Another Joke. Some of our party were put in room with other spouses not their own. Some of the rooms did not exist. In our room, when the luggage was brought, it was for some one else not ours. It took them hours to find our luggage and get it to us.

I will say the beds were very comfortable and the flat screen TVs were nice, but no refrigerator? I would much rather had a small fridge than a flat screen TV! We had asked for fresh water everyday, but it never seemed to get to us unless we called for it. The ice bucket was filled once a day and the rest of the time we had to find the ice and fill it ourselves.

There were days that the toilets didnt work at all, even in the public rooms. A/c didnt always work either.

The inside of the Lido was so hot and humid that you couldnt eat in there, so we opted to go to the dining room for breakfast where it was somewhat cool.

I will say the service was wonderful. Our cabin steward was very gracious and helpful. The wait staff at dinner was also very good as well as the bar staff. We always met in the Ocean Bar at 6:30 and our drinks were promptly served and snacks served.

The food at dinner was very good to excellent, however the last couple of nights on board was to be desired.

Shore Excursions were good, except for Cabo San Lucas. We were on the Snorkeling Tour. There was a tragedy that happened on this tour that I wont go into here, but I will say that when you are on a Cruise sponsored shore excursion that it should be the responsibility of the Cruise line to make sure that the tour operators have a First Aid Kit, know CPR and how to call the Coast Guard for an emergency and not 911 when you are out in the ocean.

Entertainment was pretty good. The production numbers were great. The other entertainment was lacking. Seems like all they could get was old has bens and most of them, our party had never heard of.

The Cruise Director was great. Very talented and funny. He pretty much kept things going. The Theater seating was horrible. Holland America should invest in actual theater seating rather than just uncomfortable couches and chairs. Holland America should take a look at the Princess Theater Seating. That is great. Nice plush theater seats with trays that come out of the arm of the seat to place your drinks on and stadium seating so you can see no matter where you are.

Activities on the ship were slim and none unless you wanted to go to the Infomercials on Aging Gracefully, Swollen Feet, How to not gain weight on ship, etc. I dont watch infomercials at home. Why would I go on a cruise and go to one? Get more fun activities during sea days!

Going through the Canal was wonderful and amazing. I am glad that I got to see that, however the Ryndam is a very old ship by cruise standards and it had been refurbished. But that didnt help at all. I would never go on the Ryndam again and possibly not on another Holland Cruise Line Ship.

All in all I would give the Cruise an overall 2 rating.

Publication Date: 06/30/06