Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Barb Yirka

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Barb Yirka
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: Barb Yirka
Cruise Date: June 2006
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: G
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
I just returned from a four night cruise on Majesty of the Seas. There were six of us, my three daughters and I, a daughter-in-law and her mother. The whole journey from Miami to Nassau to Coco Cay to Key West and back to Miami was a fantastic experience! I had read that the ship was built in 92 and is showing her age, but we saw little sign of that. The Majesty is an elegant grande dame that has been lovingly cared forgleaming brass, polished wood and generous upholstery.

The staterooms were, of course, small, but very nicely appointed, with an astonishing amount of storage space. We thought the food, which ranged from a utilitarian barbecue on Coco Cay to gourmet meals in the main dining rooms was excellent. Our wait staff was superb. They seemed to genuinely want us to have a good time. This can be said of all the employees we encountered on the ship.

We ate mostly in the dining room, as the Windjammer Cafe, though set up efficiently to serve a lot of buffet customers in an expeditious manner, was very noisy and hot and crowded. Okay, we had a few complaints. There was a lot of waiting in line for various events, although I guess there is no way out of this on such a huge ship. They need more elevators! Much of our time on board was spent waiting for elevators.

Most of the music was way too loud, from the live music by the pool and in the lounges to the canned music elsewhere. I am of the older generation, but even the daughters complained. An exception was an extraordinarily talented string trio that played in the dining room and in the Centrum.

The shore excursions that we took were mostly excellent. Among us, we took several, and I think my favorite, aside from the parasailing, which was awesome, was the See and Sea in Nassau. We first had a tour of the harbor, and our guide pointed out sites of historical interest as well as homes of the rich and richer. Then we boarded another boat, with stairs that led down to a sort of submarine. We toured a marine park and saw dozens of fish of every sort, including a couple of barracudas. Finally, we got on a bus for a tour of the town, which was really interesting. We stopped at a small straw market at the top of the fort hill.

We also took the Taste of Key West tour, which was delightful. There is quite a bit of walking, but it is in short spurts with time out for the tasting, so it is not very wearing. One of my daughters went snorkeling on Coco Cay. This was her first experience with this and she enjoyed it tremendously. We were disappointed in the Glass Bottom Boat tour. The viewing windows were small, and there was little to see that day. And the music nearly blasted us off the boat.

On board, you can fill every minute of your time, if you are so inclined. I did not participate much, but I enjoyed watching the little events, like the Sexy Mens Legs contest, line dancing classes etc. Mostly, in what little spare time I found, I enjoyed swimming and relaxing in the comfortable deck chairs.

All in all, I can heartily recommend this tour to everyone regardless of age. There were lots of kids and teenagers on the ship and they seemed to be having a terrific time. Bon Voyage!

Publication Date: 09/22/06