Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by happytraveller: Constellation - Northern Europe

happytraveller
Member Since 2006

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

Constellation - Northern Europe

Sail Date: June 2006
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Dover

We have just completed our second cruise and our first with Celebrity aboard the Constellation. We could not have wished for a better cruise visiting 9 ports during the 14 days. Each of the ports were different and in all cases a tender was not used.

We arrived at the ship around 11am on day of departure and were in our cabin by 12 noon, this was much quicker than we expected. Our cabin was very clean and quite spacious, bearing in mind it was not our intention to spend a lot of time in there. The bed was clean and comfortable. We never failed to sleep at night, best sleep had in a while.

We chose second sitting which we found ok, however at times felt a little late to be finishing usually around 10.30-10.40pm. We could not fault the food, however, thought the desserts could have been better so more often than not went for cheese and biscuits. On two occasions we chose to eat at the Ocean Liners Restaurant, we can only describe here first class, would recommend More 'Steak Diane' and 'Grand Manier Souffle'. The second time we went we chose the course which included different wine with each of the five courses. This cost us an additional $27.50 each, so total price each was $57.50 but well worth it. On another occasion we chose the diner on Deck 10, good choice of food, and it cost us $2 service, in all instances, staff were very attentive. If I found any gripes, it was due to the formal, informal evenings and I did make my opinion known to the Maitre De, is that people do not adhere to dress code and I feel they should not be allowed into the dining room. We noticed on a number of informal nights, guests wearing jeans and gents not wearing jackets, come on now, if there is a dress code, then stick to it and refuse admission to the dining room.

The two pools on the deck are fine, the Aqua Spa seemed very popular. There is a free sauna in each of the changing rooms, however, if you wish to use the steam-room and sauna in the other part there is a cost of $30 per day or $100 for the full cruise, my advice, stick to the free one, the view is much better out of the port hole.

I would say to anyone going on a cruise, to do their homework beforehand to see if it is possible to get round the ports/towns etc on their own. The majority of places it is easy to do so and works out a lot cheaper. We got round Stockholm and Helsinki on our own.

We docked in Rostock got the coach in and then went by tram and train to Wernemunde and cost us 3 euros each. In Klaipedia it was easy to walk into town, but where the ship docked u walked about 500m and catch the ferry to the Island across where the ship docked, it is very very cheap to do so and takes minutes to get there. The Island is great, some good walks round and good beach. Make sure you go to the correct beach, male, female or family, they are all separate.

Tallin is such an easy place to get round as are Oslo and Copenhagen. In Oslo you can make your own way to Vigaland and the Royal Palace, take tram No 12 cost 20 krones stops outside Vigaland, and then after take the same tram into the town then change to tram 19 which stops at the Royal Palace, from there its a nice steady walk back to the ship.

What can I say about Russia, obviously either a guided tour or get your own visa. St. Pete's is brilliant, however, we did the Moscow trip although it was expensive, it was well worth a long tiring day and the traffic congestion is just something else you will never see, where does it all come from or go to. The Russian people however, seem to lack personality at times or frightened to smile and let themselves go. Loved Moscow, but not sure if I would like to return there.

Gdansk, what a picturesque place, really nice people, so much to see and do in so little time. Where would I return to, well it has to be Gdansk, Tallin and Klaipedia and yep think Warnemunde. Scandinavia nice places, but very expensive.

Can I think of anything negative from the cruise, well its has to be coming home and perhaps disembarkation when you start to leave the ship after 7am in the morning, which gave us a long long day sat in Gatwick Airport has our flight home was not until 7.25pm, so we spent 8 hours sat around.

I would recommend a Baltic Cruise to anyone so many places which I knew little about and found that the people of the respective countries had fantastic stories of new and old to tell.

If I can help with any more information, please do not hesitate to ask and I would be happy to oblige. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>