Carnival Glory Cruise Review by james318

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 4F
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean
Well here goes! My first shot at writing a review. Keep in mind I am a single, 26 year old male.

Background information:

There were four of us traveling in two different cabins. My Dad (56), my Mom (53), my sister (32), and me (26).

Embarkation:

We landed in Port Canaveral at 10:40am and were met by Art's Shuttle. (I highly recommend this service!) It took roughly an hour to get to the Port. The port seemed much more organized as far as the porters were concerned when compared to the Port of Miami. It went well. The line moved quickly, and everything was very organized. We were on the ship by noon, and eating lunch at the Red Sail. It amazes me how people were acting at that point. It was like a mad rush for food. Kind of funny. Embarkation was fast and simple.

Ship:

The Glory is a very nice ship. I have only sailed on the Victory before (a Destiny class ship) and was interested to sail on a Conquest class ship. I didn't notice too many differences physically, but where you could really tell were the lines. It seemed every line was a little bit longer than expected, and that there were more people in the pools and what not. I know there is only a few hundred more people on a Conquest class ship vs a Destiny class ship. I never did feel crowded though. The floor layouts were similar enough that I didn't have an ounce of trouble finding my way around from day one. The Internet cafe was located in a slightly different place, but other than that, it worked out well. They were replacing some tiles all around the ship that had been made up of small square tiles, with single 12x12 tiles. The small tiles were much nicer, but I imagine they crack and need replacing a lot. There were two or three times where one of the pools were closed, usually due to someone being sick in them.

Entertainment:

There was always something to do on the ship. The piano bar was all right the nights I was there, but not quite my cup of Sanka. The karaoke bar was always jumping, and the host Ana was awesome. She was excellent at what she did, and it was quite a treat to see her singing "I Got You Babe" at the Carnival Legends show. Speaking of the Legends show, that was very entertaining, if I am a little bit biased...My sister was Britney Spears. :) The comedy show in the Amber Palace was just alright...The comedian was trying to be like Chris Rock it seemed and was doing just an OK job.

Staff:

Every staff member I came in contact with was great. Our waiter and assistant waiter at dinner (Thomas and Corina respectively) did an excellent job. Thomas felt more like an old friend after the first day than a waiter. Ana the karaoke host was awesome...She was waiting at the port when we left to wish us (and others I am sure) goodbye. The waitstaff in the karaoke bar was great as well. I can't believe they can remember so many names and folio numbers, even if they do write them down. I never saw the Cruise Director outside of when he was on Stage at the shows, and found it odd he wasn't at the Legends show. The pizza bar guy knew what I liked after a day or two...Everyone was friendly and helpful. Our cabin steward was OK...Only saw home once, but the room was always clean and my liquor always kept cold. :)

Food / Drink:

The food was great for being prepared in mass quantities. You can't go to the dining room and buffet and expect "cooked to order" quality food. Its just impossible. I found everything I ate (other than the desserts) to be very good. I would avoid most of the desserts and save the calories, with the exception of the souffle on the last night. That was delicious. I HIGHLY recommend dining at the Emerald Supper Club one night. That was worth every penny and then some. The food, desserts, and service were amazing. I had the Surf and Turf. Talk about lobster!!! :) I got every penny's worth of use of my Fountain Fun card... But word of advice: go to the bar on the main deck (Atrium) for the best diet cokes... Its cold, and they can actually pour a full can into the glass. The bartenders on the Lido deck seemed to make weak drinks compared to Bar Blue (the piano bar).

Cabin:

Inside cabin on the Lido deck, almost as far Forward as could be. Not much to say about the cabin...Clean, comfortable, but sort of a musty smell coming from somewhere outside the cabin but seeping in that could not be explained. I sailed on the Victory in a CAT12 suite, and the Glory in a 4F interior...I'll never go back to not having a balcony. If I can't afford not to, I just won't go! I didn't realize how much time I spent out on the balcony on the Victory and how much I missed it on the Glory. The parents were paying though, so beggars can't be choosers!!

Ports:

Cozumel - Maybe I just don't know where to go in Cozumel, but I don't like it there. We always end up at the beach clubs, which I find boring and the water not all its cracked up to be. I know Hurricane Wilma did a number on Cozumel, but I felt the same way when I cruised on the Victory in 2004. Only one other ship in port...the Ecstasy.

Belize - We did a snorkel/beach break combo that we booked after we docked. The crew that did the snorkel did an excellent job, and the little island they take you to is beautiful. That is my idea of a beach! Shells and rocks and all. I prefer my beaches more natural...I hate the swept clean Disney-esque beaches. We were the only ship in port.

Costa Maya - The shopping area stunk...but the little fishing village was a lot of fun. I highly recommend the restaurant we went to...I cannot recall the name though! Something about a cat! It was the first place from where the cabs drop you off. It is owned by a Canadian lady...The food and service were great! The best coconut shrimp I've ever had. We were the only ship in port.

Nassau - If I ever go to Nassau again, it will be too soon. There were at least 5 ships in port, and people EVERYWHERE. We went to Paradise Island, which I had been to about 15 years ago, and was not even much impressed there. The way they PACK people into the taxi's there was a little annoying. I guess some people may enjoy it there, but it is just not for me. I'd rather have another "Fun Day at Sea" than go here.

Sea Conditions - The water was smooth every day. Hardly any waves to speak of, and we never felt the ship moving. Leaving Costa Maya and heading back to Nassau we were in what was about to become Alberto. Not much more than some lighting in the distance. We did see a water spout off in the distance as well!

People:

Our fellow cruisers on the Glory were a lot of fun...Met some really great people. If you met the Blakes at all, they were good people. Also met some great folks from West Virginia (Todd, Josh, Tabitha, Kelly) who were fun to hang out with. Sadly I didn't get any contact info from them, but would love to talk to them again. Despite the number of people on board, it seemed I would see the same 20 people over and over. Not really a bad thing.

Debarkation:

Did self-assist debarkation...Couldn't be faster or easier. We were off the boat by 8:00am, and again, Art's Shuttle was waiting.

I think that sums it up!

Publication Date: 08/25/06