Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Back on the Horse: Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

Back on the Horse

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: June 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We just returned from the Glory on 6/10 and without a doubt had the best cruise we've ever taken.

Room accomodations: We usually book the lower level interior rooms because let's face it, who actually spends any time in their rooms anyhow? But CCL upgraded us to level 3, outside rooms at no charge and we were really impressed with the size and quality of the accommodations. Our cabin steward, Jesus, was beyond professional. I can't remember one single time I stepped outside my room that he wasn't in the corridor with a warm smile. Everything was clean and tidy, even when we didn't leave it that way. This includes the room beside us shared by our two teenagers.

Dining: CCL may be looking for ways to recoup the high price of gas, but food quality isn't one of them. The meal choices were outstanding, regardless of whether we took in an afternoon buffet or an evening in the dining room. Our service staff there (Daniela and Valentin) were unbelievable attentive. Even More our wine steward had my childrens' soft drinks ready for their arrival. No need went unfulfilled. Daniela even cut up the steaks or lobsters for the kids at our table. We sprung for an evening in the Emerald Dining Room as well. The presentation is out of this world, but we both agreed that we missed our wonderful servers in the regular dining room. We would probably do it again though. The experience is well worth the additional $30.00.

Talent: Here's where Carnival needs to step it up a bit. We spent most of our evenings in the Karaoke bar. There seems to be a shortage of quality entertainment on the Glory. We never took in the shows, having learned early on to avoid them, but we've always enjoyed the piano bar. Not so this time. Thank goodness for the karaoke bar and our fellow cruisers' showmanship.

Ports of Call: The new itinerary for the Glory now includes Costa Maya and Nassau. I was pleasantly surprised with Costa Maya's tourist village. There are only a few shops, but several restaurants and two large pools in the middle of it all. You could easily spend several hours there for absolutely no charge. We booked a tour through Carnival and had a lovely day of horseback riding. FYI: The cowboys are fantastic gentlemen, but when they tell you to control your horse, listen. Being a novice, I got cocky and ran mine too fast, and I fell hard. They immediately took notice and provided medical care quickly, gently, and kindly. They had even cleared the path of all large rocks, which meant I walked away from a fall with only a few scratches and a sore tailbone. Belize and Cozumel were fantastic. Friendlier people cannot be found anywhere.

Kids on Board: If you have teens, they need to know how to entertain themselves. Carnival's activities are for the young ones. But my kids were never bored. As a matter of fact, sometimes my kids were out all night. Carnival is very accommodating in that regard.

Getting On/Getting Off: It may be my imagination, but it was a much smoother process this time. Hats off to you, Carnival. I think you're getting the hang of it.

Misc: Carnival Legends Show -- if you spend any time in the karaoke bar, do NOT miss the final vegas-style show on Friday night. We laughed until we cried!

Must Say Hi To...: Go to Creams, get a coffee, say hi to the barista. She is the sweetest little gal on the ship. I know it never ceases to amaze us when the staff remembers our names, but to remember how we take our coffee and what bottled water we prefer is BEYOND the call of duty.

Art Auction: Even if you don't intend to buy, this is a must-do activity. We learned so much! We're both kicking ourselves for not buying a certain painting because it had an opening bid of $800.00. After coming home and researching it, we can't get it for less than twice that amount on land.

Overall: Value, quality, service are above par again. Talent needs some fine-tuning. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>