Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by kbartok

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: kbartok
Cruise Date: June 2006
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Spirit - Eastern Caribbean
This is the fourth cruise my husband and I (we are both in our forties) have taken. Two were on Carnival and two on Norwegian. Embarkation was easy; my first impression of the ship was it was not very pretty.

The food was not up to my expectations; it was the worse we have ever had. Breakfast in Rafffles, the cafeteria style restaurant was bearable, however they do not give you trays to carry your meals on, so forget it if you want to have coffee and eggs and a bowl of fruit, it is impossible to carry. The lunch and dinner menu did not vary much, and again it was difficult to navigate in the dining room without trays.

We had breakfast in Windows one morning -- the service wasn't bad, however we were never offered the pastry tray. Lunch on deck by the pool offered up the typical barbecue faire, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, etc., however everything was always burnt to a crisp. Dinner in Windows and The Garden offered up the same foods and service was mediocre at best. Some of the evenings menus were the weirdest I have ever seen. The best dinner we had was Le Bistro, which was very good. If you are going for great food this is not the cruise for you.

The itinerary for this cruise was St. Thomas, Tortola and Bermuda. In St. Thomas we took the Catamaran/Champagne Snorkel tour which was the highlight of our vacation. It was a lot of fun and the tour guides were great. After our return from the excursion we took a cab downtown from the ship to do a little shopping and found out all the stores close at 5:30pm, this was a great disappointment. The next stop was Tortola, my husband and I didn't have an excursion planned and we did not get off the ship. I did hear from others that evening that we were smart to stay on as the island was filthy. Bermuda may have been nice, but it was pouring the entire day and we didn't get to do much but shop in the rain.

The rooms were a little smaller than what we have had. We had a balcony room, which the doors and windows looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. The room stewards were not very friendly, my husband liked to sleep late and this made the steward a little upset that he had to keep coming back to our room. Every other cruise I have gone on I have had a cute little animal on my bed every evening, but I only had three this time, I know its not a big deal but it just makes the cruise that more enjoyable.

The shows weren't so good except for the Black Street Boys, two young black comedians. We spent most of our nights in Henry's Pub where there was an excellent singer and guitar player, Corey Jones. The other activities are the usual, bingo, trivia, table tennis, etc. The pool area is also smaller than the other cruises we have been on.

Disembarkation was easy, they want you off the ship quick, so they can ready for the next vacationers. I would not recommend this ship to anyone, as it was a great disappointment to me.

Publication Date: 07/07/06