Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Starz

Cruise Date: June 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

Disappointing is the only way to describe my first Fun Ship Experience. The trip began in a long "Embarkation" line. Even though the wife did the pre-work online to speed up the embarkation process. We were told we had to fill out a new very detailed form for Bahama entry authorities at the time we got onto the ship. Our first contact with Carnival Employees at the check in desk set the tone. They were very rude and not cooperative...handed out forms, but no pens or pencils to complete.

Once on the ship, the crew was much nicer. The room, a Balcony suite, was very nice and a little bigger than what I had experienced on other lines. Only issue I had was paper thin walls...could hear my next door neighbor sneeze. My room was over the kids game room, and many an evening I would go to bed listening to the "clang clang" of an air hockey game -- many nights til 3:30a.m. Lots of teens 14-17 on this boat, who were roaming without parental supervision til 3 or 4am. It would be nice to see the game room close at least at 1am to allow some of the rooms around it to have some quiet for sleep. It would also be nice to see some tighter control around unsupervised children under 18.

Food was average. Red Sail was similar to what you would get at a cafeteria in the U.S. We did enjoy the Emerald Room for the added $25. The food and staff service were exceptional.

Ship entertainment was below average. The shows had singers who would not have made the american Idol top ten. The top entertainment of the week was the last drunk boarding the boat in Cost Maya...the last 200 yard walk for him should have been on America's funniest home videos.

Shore Excursions were good. We enjoyed power snorkeling in Belize. The guys on the boat were very nice and helpful. We went swimming with dolphins in Costa Maya which was also fun. I would not recommend the Glass Bottom Boat trip in Nassau...not much to it for the money. Again the biggest hassle was getting off the boat at each port. There needs to be a better organized way of getting people off the boat. Disney has crowd control down to a science...learn how to move people from them...it felt like we were trying to squeeze a herd of cattle thru a 6' opening at every port. Why not exit by floors or colors at each port?

It makes a lot more sense than making people stand forever on stairwells. State Room crew gets two thumbs up...rooms were spotless...beds were turned down at night...always had clean towels. They were there when ya needed them.

Disembarkation...well after dealing with embarkation and the daily port cattle herding...maybe I got used to it and it went better. We docked at 7:30 a.m. and I was off the boat at 10:30a.m., but they did go by color code and we had 100 less cows trying to get thru that 6' opening. All in all, we got a great price on a balcony cabin and had some fun, but would I do the "Fun Ship" thing again....probably not.

Publication Date: 06/28/06