Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by pechung: Norwegian Spirit - Eastern Caribbean

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Spirit - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2006
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

NCL Spirit from 5/20/06-5/28/06

Highlights:

BACKGROUND: We are in our mid 30s and this was our 4th cruise. We did Windstar twice, Princess once and then this cruise. We had our 5 year old son traveling with us.

SHIP: The Spirit is a very nice and clean ship. The oriental motif is pleasing to the eye. There are 2 outlets for 110V. One in the bathroom and one at the cabin desk. We were in cabin 5512 which is a regular cabin with a small porthole for a view. It was located in the front end of the ship. The 110 V is good for charging all US electronics (laptop, cell phones, etc).

FOOD: food was our biggest complaint. The Raffles buffet is the same food everyday. They give new names to it every day such as Polynesian night or Italian night, but in reality, they just bring out maybe one or 2 dishes to represent that theme and the rest of the food is the same as the day before. I heard that the specialty-pay restaurants were pretty good. Some said they More were fabulous. So, its not that they dont know how to make the food taste good, they just choose not to make it good, unless youre willing to pay extra for it. We tried Windows restaurant (which is 1 of two no-fee main dining restaurants). We went there 3 times and all 3 times, we wish that we didnt invest the 1.5-2 hours of time. The only thing that was really good there was the Tiramisu and the Chocolate soufflE (both on Italian night). Speaking of desserts&.er, it sucked. The choices sucked (or lack thereof) and the quality sucked. Im used to seeing a dizzying array of desserts on cruises. They usually had about 2-3 different kinds of cakes or pies. All was fairly poor in taste. Now, mind you, as I complain about the food, I still ate plenty and never went hungry&Im just saying that they could do it a lot better&.they know how-- they just dont want to.

La Trattoria is a section of the Raffles buffet area that they cordon off at night and dedicate it to serving Italian food. We tried getting a reservation at our usual dinner time of 5:30, but no luck. They had plenty of openings at 9:30, though. If you want to go there, make reservations ASAP. You can do it at the Reception desk at 7 mid or via the phone from your room.

Basically, we ate at the buffet for all our meals except the 3 times we tried Windows. Windows has a beautiful atmosphere if youre sitting toward the aft of the restaurant. The food is the same at Windows or the Garden restaurant but the view at Windows is really nice. One thing that I really did enjoy was their bread. They really new how to make good bread stuff&.rolls, scones (served at tea time only) and sandwich bread. Good stuff.

We arent alcohol drinkers so we ended up buying the unlimited drink passes. The pass is $48.50 and entitles you to unlimited sodas. I ended up drinking way more sodas then I normally do. If you do the math and drink about 2-3 cups of soda a day, its cheaper to just buy them one at a time but its a whole lot more convenient to just buy the pass and get your drinks without having to sign for one each time. It wasnt widely announced, but they will sell you a Teen Passport for $32 which entitles you to 20 pages of coupons for non-alcoholic smoothies, slushes, pina coladas, etc& my son really enjoyed those. If you were to buy them individually, they cost about $6. So, that pass is a good deal.

Blue Lagoon restaurant at 7 Mid has great burgers and chicken wings and wonton soup. Plus, its open 24 hours, which is nice. Enough on the food& if you want more info, you can email me.

ITINERARY: St. Thomas hasnt changed in the 5 years since Ive been there and it probably never will. Its a dump. If you want cheap jewelry go to New York or Los Angeles and get a better deal in downtown.

Tortola is really another waste of time.

Ive never been to Bermuda and I was caught off guard by how pretty it was. The people seem educated and cultured and much friendlier than the 2 previous islands I mentioned. We bought a $12 per person day pass for the public transit ($5 for kids 5 and up). We took the bus #7 from the dock to Horeshoe Bay beach, which is a fantastic beach&.really fantastic. I suspect that the locals steer us to this beach because they want all the tourists to hang out at one beach only. While it was a great beach, I think there might be other ones that are equal or better. Thatll be my next trip. After a few hours, we took the bus to downtown Hamilton. There are bus stops in Hamilton. You can get off at the Ferry Stop and walk around for a little while or have lunch there. From there you can catch the Ferry which leaves every 30 minutes and it drops you off right in front of the cruise ship, that was a nice touch. I think I will go visit Bermuda again. I was pleasantly surprised at its beauty, although, the water temp. was a bit cold. Too cold for me to swim but not too cold for the younger kids, crazy kids!

Oh, the first night out of New York was very rocky. My wife couldnt get out of the bed all night. Also, the last sea day before returning to New York (after Bermuda) was so bad that there were literally people throwing up all around me. It got better at night and people started to come back out of their cabins.

KIDS CLUB: AWESOME!!!!!!!!! This one amenity of the ship made it all worthwhile. My son had so much fun with the counselors and all the other kids. They have meeting times from 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10 every night. I actually had time to read and finish a book. Just so, so great. They have a kids pool in the aft section of the ship. It even has 2 slides. Really, really well laid out for the kids.

If you have any specific questions, send me an email to pechung@yahoo.com Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>