Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Richard Stein: Vision of the Seas - Pacific Coastal

Richard Stein

Destination: British Columbia
Embarkation: Los Angeles

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL

Vision of the Seas by Dick Stein LA-Vancouver Coastal May 7, 2006

This was our 11th Royal Caribbean Cruise, our 1st Pacific Coastal Cruise with this line. We did this cruise because the price was right, we could visit our daughter in San Diego prior to traveling and we were doing a back to back with HAL to Alaska after. I flew in on America West two days early to spend time with our daughter. She drove us to the pier on Sunday, 60 miles in two hours. Arrived at dock at 11 AM and they took my bags.

Embarkation: Arrived at dock, lines for Diamond members were short and we were on the ship at 11:30 AM. Went to the Lido for lunch with our carry on bags as they said the cabins would be ready at 1 PM. Lunch in the lido was fine. The cabin was ready when we finished our lunch.

Cabins: The cabin 7572 Balcony cabin was attractively decorated and good sized for the price. The balcony offered privacy and had plastic tables and More chairs which we used once in a while. We had a small shower with a fixed shower head. We got bathroom floor wet trying to take each shower. Cabin service was efficient and unobtrusive. The bed could have used a new mattress and the room was small, but adequate for 5 days. There was barely enough closet and drawer space. My wife liked what they had on the TV.

Public Areas: The public areas are nice and the ship never feel crowded. Shops had little we desired. They had good shows on board and the singers and dancers were good. The bars had a large Fosters for a decent price that I got all cruise long. There was plenty of activities to keep you busy all day. Dining: I requested 2nd seating dining and got a large table for 10 where we felt like part of a crowd, but we had a good waiter. We ate all our meals here except when we were in port and the main restaurant was closed for lunch. They did not have many juices or yogurt for breakfast. They are things I normally get on RCCL. We went to the open seating for breakfast and lunch in the Dining room every day we could. The attendance in the main dining rooms was far less that capacity due to number eating in Lido. The food in the main dining room was acceptable, but not even close to Celebrity in quality. We had pizza, and hot dogs several times for a snacks. The food in the Lido was decent.

Tours: We did tours in Victoria. In Victoria we visited Butchart Gardens, a favorite of my wifes (our third time there). The tour and bus were fine. In San Francisco we were docked too far from Fishermans wharf to walk anything of interest so we stayed on ship.

Disembarkation was smooth. We were off the ship at 9 AM, and on the Quick Shuttle to Seattle at 10:30 AM. We were at the Seattle Airport at 3 PM and at our Motel at 4 PM..

Overall, I was not satisfied, but will consider this line again due to my past cruises with them and the value I get for my money. My main complaints were the mattress, lack of dining I am used too and quality of food. I did enjoy the Diamond benefits and that made up for some of the other short comings. Less

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>