Seabourn Legend Cruise Review by SantaAna,CA: Seabourn Legend - Eastern Caribbean

SantaAna,CA
Member Since 2005
1,697 Posts

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Seabourn Legend Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Seabourn Legend - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2006
Embarkation: St. Thomas

This was my first cruise on Seabourn. I had previously cruised on Holland America's Amsterdam to Alaska, and wanted to try a smaller ship. These are my impressions of Seabourn's Legend. I was on for 14 days to the Caribbean.

Embarkation: Came aboard in St. Thomas, absolutely no one in line when I came to the ship. I was sailing with my sister and brother-in-law and another lady friend of ours, we had three separate cabins. The embarkation was very easy, they were very friendly and had us wait in the King Olaf lounge since we were a bit early, the cabins were not quite ready. We were given cold drinks, and there were finger sandwiches available. We were given our shipboard card, with a picture taken onboard for security purposes, our room key, they took an imprint of a credit card, and then a steward whisked us off to our cabins. I had four pieces of luggage, one of them a dive bag, and all of them showed up in the cabin in short order.

Cabins: Beautiful. I had a More cabin by myself and had asked for "run of ship" (single), which means you take what they give you usually 30 days before sailing. I was assigned deck 5, room 201, which is right next to the Classic Suite, which is the forward-most cabin on this deck. I was very happy with this location, as I wanted to spend time on the Legend's bow. There is a beautiful hot tub on the bow, and hardly anyone was ever out there. More later on this part of the ship. We had a couple of rough sea days, and there was a lot of movement, but it didn't bother me at all, I sort of liked it (being so forward on the ship).

The cabin has a HUGE window, and a tiny "window seat" which you can "perch" on and watch the world go by. Word of warning; my cabin was on the starboard side of the ship, and this particular cabin must have been directly over the anchor. Every time they dropped it, or pulled it up, I could swear it was going into my closet, very loud. I didn't care though, it was sort of funny. Nice queen size bed, very comfortable duvet cover, loads and loads of storage space in drawers, and a great walk in closet, even with space for your shoes. Nice safe in the closet as well. Flat screen TV and DVD player, Bose CD player, and they had a few channels of music, my favorite being soft jazz. Put on mood lighting in your room, the radio playing "you give me fever", dress for your formal night dining, I felt like I was in a movie. You can put your suitcases either in the closet or under the bed. A little sofa and two chairs complete the sitting area, along with a nifty coffee table that can pull up and become a table if you want to dine in your cabin. The large mirror, which amplifies the space in the sitting area, doubles as the place you can check out your outfit before walking down the hall to dinner.

The bathroom was gorgeous. Lots of space, a huge tub and hand held shower, but you could fix it into the holder above you to have it rain down on you; lots of hot water and excellent water pressure. Moulton Brown shampoo, conditioner and lotion have now spoiled me for life. Marble everywhere, and lots of towels that were constantly replaced and folded up for you. A makeup mirror, appreciated, and a good hairdryer!! Lots of storage space on the sides and under the counter for all your little things.

A mini fridge in the room had soft drinks and mixers, and I asked for bottled water, as I don't really like wine. Drinks are included on Seabourn and they made a very good Pina Colada up at the Sky Bar.

Dining: It was like eating at an exclusive restaurant at every meal. I only went to the dining room for dinner; breakfast and lunch I usually had at the Veranda cafe (stern of the ship; outside or inside seating, gorgeous view, buffet, very good food), or on the run, since I am a scuba diver and was either grabbing breakfast before I left, or a quick lunch upon returning from my dive. The dining room was lovely and had a real energy to it; you'll get invitations to dine with various officers once in awhile, they leave printed invitations on your door and when you get to the table, little placecards with your name on it. The food was not only delicious, it was done like a work of art. Don't get me started on desserts. My favorite was the creme brulee...three of them....different flavors, at one sitting! One afternoon there was a "galley brunch", you wandered through the galley picking out dozens and dozens of different foods, then back the dining room for your table, where a display of desserts also awaited you. Spectacular.

Tea was served almost every day in the forward lounge, a huge display of delicious sandwiches, scones, usually a hot appetizer or dessert, and white gloved waiters offering a variety of teas poured from silver pots. Charming and delicious.

Nice places to hang out: My favorite being the bow. A very nice hot tub, a few deck chairs, and just forward of the hot tub is a sloping cover that you can perch on, at the very front of the ship, and get a feeling it's you, the sky and the sea. Very, very wonderful, I spend a lot of time sitting there. A small pool, surrounded by a nice sitting area, but not anywhere that you can actually see out to the ocean. The bridge deck had most of the deck chairs, but this deck was blocked in view by the lifeboats. To see the sea, you needed to grab a chair on deck 8, where the Sky Bar was.

Events and Entertainment: On my two week cruise they had a deck barbecue and also a special night of desserts "under the stars"...just about every dessert you can think of. The entertainment was lots of fun; being a smaller ship, the cruise directors on Seabourn also double as the talent. One night they had a "rock the boat" show....songs from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's with the four cruise directors attired in decade-appropriate clothing. Another night was Broadway tunes sung by the talented cruise staff in the show lounge, and they also had a brilliant pianist on board, David Howarth, whose CD I bought and am playing to death, he was spectacular.

Shore excursions/Complimentary: Seabourn has complimentary shore excursions on each cruise. We were on two weeks, and the first week in Nevis we were taken to the botanical garden for a show of local dancers. This wasn't much to my liking, we were sitting under a large tent and it was rather stifling; the dancing didn't interest me much, sorry to say. They also had a "fashion show" which consisted of local outfits, cute...but I rather have spent the day diving, which I gave up to take this excursion. The second week was the beach barbecue on Virgin Gorda, a complete blast with Seabourn setting up an entire beach with chairs, an enclosed bar/dining area, a buffet lunch with every food under the sun, and waiters in the surf giving you caviar off a bobbing surfboard (umbrellas in hand to keep the sun off you). I enjoyed the banana boat rides which dumped us into the ocean consistently. Tenders came and went from the Legend all afternoon so you could come and go as you please. They also had windsurfers available and water skiing.

Gym: Small but very functional. I was on those treadmills almost every day, you have to be if you don't want to gain a hundred pounds. In a refrigerator they had cold towels and ice water in bottles; thank you! They had cycles, free weights, and other "universal" weight machines.

Spa: I had one massage which cost $110 and I wouldn't do it again, just too much money. I also had a manicure which was fine, but the person doing it kept trying to sell me stuff for my skin. Up to you, but I'd just as soon pass on this section of the ship!

Shore Excursions/Arranged: The one mix up I had was a day in St. Maarten. After missing my first dive boat (my error), a shore excursion person set up an afternoon dive for me on another boat. Unfortunately, I was not given thorough directions as to where to pick up the boat, and never found it. After writing on my comment card that better directions were needed, never heard back from Seabourn. Disappointed about this, but it was the only problem I encountered the entire two weeks.

My impression of the Legend was that it is a beautiful ship with a stellar crew and wonderful food...the cabins are about the best around, and if you are looking for great service on a line that tends to be dressy...a small, intimate, friendly experience, this is for you. I would sail again with them anywhere, anytime. Less

Read more Seabourn Legend cruise reviews >>