Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by saturn28

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: G
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
I just returned from a 3-night cruise of the Bahamas from May 12 to the 15th. This was my first time cruising. First, I would like to say that the Majesty of the Seas is an older ship built in 1992. However, she is well maintained. They were cleaning the ship constantly while I was on the cruise and for an older ship, she is in good shape. I did hear the ship goes in for refurbishing in December, so after that she will probably look like new.

Getting onto the ship was no problem. There were no line-ups when we boarded at 3pm and the ship left at 5pm. However, it took 3 hours to get off the ship and get through customs.

We had a Category G outside cabin and we found it to be very clean and well maintained. The cabin was bigger than I thought it would be and very comfortable for two people. We had the room attendant set the beds up as two single beds instead of one queen bed and this made the room seem more spacious than when it was set up as one queen bed. If you leave it set up as a queen bed, you have to sit on the bed all the time. However, if you set it up as two single beds you can use both beds as a couch during the day to watch tv or sit in the room and then the attendant comes in during the evening and provides turn down service for you before bedtime. The room attendant was very good and supplied us with fresh towels twice a day, and when she came in to do the turn down service, while we where at dinner, she left chocolates on our pillows.

The food on the ship is below average. We ate at the Windjammer were they serve buffets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and even though there is a good selection of food the quality is below average. They really need to find some chefs that know how to cook because there buffet reminded me of some of the free buffets that you get in Las Vegas. One gets plenty of food but the presentation and the taste is poor. The food in the main dinning room tasted better and I would rate it as average. The barbecue lunch they served on Coco Cay was terrible. I would rather have eaten at Burger King.

The entertainment on the ship was below average. I would have thought that they would have professional entertainers for the amount it cost for the cruise. However, they use crew members to perform and it reminded me of bad Karaoke. There was one night they had a former member of the Drifters performing and he was good, but he started telling more jokes than he was singing songs. His set only lasted for an hour, so it would have been much better if he had spent the time singing instead of half of it telling jokes.

Coco Cay is a very beautiful island and if you enjoy swimming, relaxing, snorkeling, jet skiing, or just having a great time at the beach, you will love Coco Cay.

Nassau was great as well. We took one of the city buses around the island to see some of the sights. The city buses cost $2 for a round trip and you get a good feel of the island rather than taking one of the tour companys tours. In addition, we went to Atlantis and walked around their property. It is a beautiful resort and a must see. I must tell you that we entered the resort from the main entrance of Atlantis and then walked inside through the different buildings until we reach the old Merv Griffin part of the resort. Then we walked outside. I didnt know it at the time but found out by doing this we didnt have to pay anything to tour the Atlantis property and were able to see everything that they charge $29 to see when you start the tour from the main Atlantis building.

Overall, I would say we had a nice time. The weather was perfect so there was no problem with the ship rocking back and forth. In fact, I could not tell the boat was moving. The ship is very clean and most of the staff was polite. The ship is very nice and they provide many activities to attend during the cruise. The only problem I had with the cruise is the food. If you are going on the cruise to enjoy great food, you will be disappointed. However, if you are going to relax and have a good time you will enjoy it.

Publication Date: 05/25/06