Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Terri Mullins: Norwegian Jewel - Eastern Caribbean

Terri Mullins
0 Post

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Jewel - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2006

My husband and I, some friends and my sister decided to take a cruise for my 50th Birthday. We picked the Norwegian Jewel because it is a new ship and it was our first cruise.

We flew from Memphis to Miami. The plane ticket cost almost as much as the cruise. We spent the night before our cruise at the Hampton Inn which is very close to the port and was very convenient. We arrived at the port about 1130 am and were able to embark immediately. There was plenty of help to check us in. It went very smoothly.

After boarding the ship, we went to our interior stateroom that was small but nice. When I arrived, my husband had arranged for balloons, a cake and a banner with "Happy Birthday" in the room. I was "totally" surprised. I had heard so many people talk about the food on cruise ships. The atmosphere in all the speciality restaurants was nice but I wouldn't say the food was anything outstanding. We did enjoy Cagney's steak house. Our waiter Furtoso Gonsalves was very More entertaining. He recommended the chocolate dessert which he stated looked like "Ding Dongs" and they did. They were great!

My friend and I got a massage the first day at sea. It was very relaxing and the people who worked in the spa were very nice and it was worth the money spent.

The service on the ship was outstanding!I can't say enough about these people. They work such long hours but always have a smile on their faces and are eager to please. I would like to thank Ricardo Cobos, the bartender in the Star bar and a very, very special thanks to Alina D'Silva, who also works in the Star bar. Alina went out of her way to make us feel special. I would like to also say the our cruise director, Paul, was fun and made us laugh a lot. He does a good job. The only people I could complain about is the reception desk (very unfriendly) and the workers in the gift shop (Ryan).The entertainment on the ship was great some nights and not so great other nights. Cirque Bijou was the best.

The shore excursions were okay but nothing great or the ones we went on. I enjoyed San Juan and St. Thomas but really don't ever care about seeing Antigua again. St. Thomas is beautiful!

The worst part of the whole trip was the disembarkation. We had a late flight so decided to get off the ship last (which by the way is 930am) You could get off as early as 600am but our travel agent had told us not to book an early flight. If I had this to do over again, I would get off first and book an early flight. Apparently, lots of people had been told the same thing because the lines getting out were terrible and there was so much luggage, we couldn't find ours. It took us over an hour to find our luggage. The port in Miami blamed the cruise ship for our long wait. It is true that the drinks are too expensive and 15% on every beverage is added. So watch your bill. All in all, I had a great time and would go again tomorrow. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>