Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cruiselover20: Summit - Hawaii

Summit - Hawaii

Sail Date: April 2006
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

After many cruises on Celebrity, we looked forward to this Hawaii cruise per usual. What we experienced, was by far less than the Celebrity Experience

We flew in the day before, and arrived in San Pedro about noon. The line was long and seemed somewhat disorganized. However, the weather was nice, and although it took us more than one hour to get to the area for check in, I had read where this was a problem on other cruises leaving there, so we just waited our turn and visited with other people in line. Finally we arrived at check in, and since we were in a Celebrity Suite, 9096 were able to board quickly.

Needless to say the ship did not look well cared for. It was shabby to say the least, and when we arrived at our suite, I was appalled at the condition of the room. The furniture was faded, dirty, and worn. It looked like they were trying to use this ship up until the last minute before spending a dime on repairs. The bathroom had mold in the corners and in the More tub. We had plastic flowers that were glued down in a vase on the counter and tables. Very tacky and dusty I might add. After three days I ask our cabin steward to run the vacuum as it had not been done. That was the only time the carpet was cleaned in two weeks. The carpet had holes in it, stains, and the toss pillows on the sofa were so dirty that they should have been thrown away. The CS has a very nice layout, but this was not up to standards, and was shocking to see on Celebrity. We had a butler who was very poor by comparison to others. He did nothing, complained about the location of his station when I mentioned having dinner in our room. Obviously he did not want to be bothered, so we did not ask.

I must mention, that 9096 has a major noise problem. It starts about 9pm and goes on all night. We contacted guest relations, and they said there was nothing they could do about it, as it was coming from a pantry that was being restocked. However, there was nothing above us that was open. The room steward did say that he had been on that ship for 8 months, and there had always been a problem. It was the sound of running, stamping feet, carts rolling and slamming. Needless to say it was impossible to get a decent nights sleep..

Everyone wants to know about the food. It was fair, and that was the best I could say. If they would turn the catering over to Applebees it would have been much better. We did enjoy the specialty restaurant and found it to be absolutely perfect. On the 14 night cruise we had dinner there two nights and enjoyed their outstanding food and service.

Activities--Well, Celebrity has really started the nickel and time routine. My husband likes to work about for two hours every morning. Much to his surprise, there were no seats on the spin cycles&&guess what $10 charge to use them. Just a year ago, there was no charge. The bikes, $10, a yoga class $10, and so on. This was a very bad move on the part of the cruise line, and when my husband complained, there was no response from the guest services for the two weeks.

This was a very poor experience, and will be our last Celebrity cruise. The whole attitude was not to care about anything, and you could tell by the worn furniture all over the ship, and general attitude of the staff.

After 25 cruises, this will be the last one for a long time, and never again on Celebrity. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>