Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Jessica & Jason

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Jessica & Jason
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: Jessica & Jason
Cruise Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: M
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Grandeur of the Seas - Western Caribbean
This was mine and my husbands first experience with Royal Caribbean and the second time we have ever cruised (the first being with Carnival). RC was a pleasant surprise, and we will definitely cruise with them again in the future. We left from Tampa, FL and vacationed with two other couples, which made for a fun time. Regarding the flight prior to the cruise, it was a nightmare. First, the airline company cancelled our initial flight, which had been the morning of the day we were set to sail, so we had to fly in the night before. Our connecting flight in Atlanta was delayed a few hours, so we didnt arrive in Tampa until about 2:00 in the morning. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, however, since the weather in Atlanta was horrendous the day of the cruise and flights were delayed for hours (we would have entirely missed the cruise!). My suggestion is to fly out the night before your cruise if at all possible.

Since checkout time was at 12:00, we decided to head on down to the ship to see how early we could get on even though RC had indicated we wouldnt be able to board until 2:00 p.m. Fortunately, we were able to get onto the ship very quickly and were getting settled into our cabin by 12:30. From there, we met up with the two other couples with whom we were vacationing. Our luggage arrived outside our door within a few hours.

Upon entering our cabin for the first time, we were happy with what we saw. We got one of the interior rooms  no frills, least expensive  and were pleased with it. Although small, it had everything we needed and we didnt spend too much time in it, anyway. Our friends got a cabin that was one step up from ours and included a large window to the outside but was the same size as ours. I wouldnt have wanted their room because it would have allowed too much light to enter during mornings when we wanted to sleep in&our room was very, very dark. The first evening before dinner, our housekeeper came to introduce herself. She was quite funny and non-intrusive, which I found to be a relief. She cleaned our room twice a day (!!!), left chocolates on our pillows at night, and made fabulous animals out of towels. Our favorite was the monkey which was hanging from the ceiling upon our return from a show one night.

Speaking of entertainment, we went to every show before or after dinner, depending on the night. It was nice that on at least two of the evenings, the late-seating dinners show was prior to dinner (around 7:00) instead of after. There was a comedian who was funny and had two shows: one for a family audience and one for adults only. My favorite show was a compilation of Broadway musicals performed by the RC singers and dancers. This ship also had several bar areas, including a popular piano bar where a guy played the piano and sang different songs. Then there was the Viking Lounge, which was the nightclub that stayed open until the wee hours of the morning. This is where most of the party crowd seemed to go&there and the Casino.

I cannot say enough about how pleased I was with the food onboard. Although I am a vegetarian and have a somewhat restricted diet, I was always able to find good food to eat. In the Great Gatsby dining room, there was at least one vegetarian option in the appetizer, salad, and entrEe sections. In the Windjammer Cafe, there were plentiful meatless options  examples included vegetarian chili, vegetarian Indian curry dish, awesome salad bar, soups, fruits, vegetables (although these were laden with oil and butter), pasta salads, cheeses, breads, and various side dishes. I think the best part about the food were the desserts. In the dining room, there were low calorie or sugar-free desserts available at lunch and dinner, and the same was true at the buffet. Yum.

The fitness center on board that I only made it to once seemed nice. They offered tons of classes like Pilates and Yoga, had several elliptical machines, treadmills, bikes, and of course weight machines. The day I did decide to go there, I saw the cruise director, Ashley, running away on a treadmill. She was very friendly as usual  she was constantly upbeat and happy without going overboard throughout the duration of the cruise. This ship also had a rock-climbing wall and spa.

When we got off the ship at our first port, I was surprised that we docked right at the pier because on our last cruise we had to take a taxi boat onto shore. Being able to dock close to the pier like that gave us much more time ashore. In Cozumel, we went on the Jungle Hiking excursion, which was invigorating and interesting and I would recommend it to those who enjoy a little bit of a workout. Our tour guide was informative and jovial while telling us about the history of the Mayan culture. We opted not to do an excursion at Grand Cayman and instead walked around the downtown, which was right at the pier. I was happy not to have to take a taxi to get anywhere. Apparently, Grand Cayman is known as Brand Cayman because there are so many shops with name brands. The island is particularly famous for jewelry, according to cruise staff.

As you can see from my lengthy description, my husband and I were very satisfied with our experience with Royal Caribbean and are already looking forward to our next cruise.

Publication Date: 05/03/06